cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with shipping international over one pound packages.

I used the shipping calculator on USPS.com to ship packages over one pound and every time it says I must use priority mail which cost $60. This is way too much for the value of the item.

When I use ebay's shipping calculator and enter the same weight and dimensions (1 lb, 14oz - 24"x3"x3") I get an option to ship with usps 1st class international for $26. Much better price.

So, my question is can I in fact purchase an international 1st class label from ebay for my package which weighs over 1 pound?

Thank you in advance. Mark

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I used the shipping calculator on USPS.com to ship packages over one pound and every time it says I must use priority mail which cost $60. This is way too much for the value of the item.

When I use bay's shipping calculator and enter the same size and dimensions (1 lb, 14oz - 24"x3"x3") I get an option to ship with usps 1st class international for $26. Much better price.

So, my question is can I in fact purchase an international 1st class label from ebay for my package which weighs over 1 pound?

Thank you in advance. Mark

Message 1 of 9
latest reply

Do you trust USPS's software or Ebay's to be accurate? Based on a quick search FCPIS requires on of the dimensions to be a minimum of 4". If you can accommodate this then try those dimensions on USPS and see if the option changes. Just guessing.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

my packages are tubes which are 23" x 3" x 3". When I use your suggestion and put in 23"x4"x4" I do get results which include 1st class International. So, when I purchase a shipping label does the package actually have to be 4" min?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

If I'm not mistaken, you can go to the USPS site (use 'Click and Ship', even) and can send a package that is up to 4# via First Class Package International. If you do that, you'll need to load the tracking number into your order. I can't address whether you can get that label through eBay... I've never tried.

If I am mistaken, hopefully someone will come along to correct me. Sit tight.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I think your package might be getting bumped up to Priority because of a problem with dimensions. The USPS shipping calculator says that International First Class packages must have a "Min. length 6", Min. height 4", Max. length 24"."  So your width and height of 3 inches could be the problem with your package, and there also might be a flaw in the programming for eBay's shipping calculator.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This is from USPS.

Weight, Size, & Shape Requirements

• Maximum weight is 4 lbs (64 oz).
  • Packages (Other Than Rolls):
    • Length (the longest dimension): minimum, 6 inches; maximum, 24 inches.
    • Height: minimum, 4 inches.
    • Combined Length, Height, and Depth (thickness): maximum 36 inches.
    • The postage, address, customs form, and any other required elements must be on a side that’s at least 6 inches long x 4 inches high.
  • Rolls (Tubes):
    • Length: minimum, 4 inches; maximum, 36 inches.
    • Length plus twice the diameter (combined): minimum, 6-¾ inches; maximum, 42 inches.
  • Some countries have specific prohibitions and restrictions.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@marks-racing wrote:

my packages are tubes which are 23" x 3" x 3". When I use your suggestion and put in 23"x4"x4" I do get results which include 1st class International. So, when I purchase a shipping label does the package actually have to be 4" min?

Yes. I was messing about with the Click-N-Ship page just now and can confirm your results. 

The post office sells various non-Priority shipping packages in their lobby, a couple of which are cardboard tubes (square profile), so one of those might work for you. (They're not particularly cheap, so you might want to try elsewhere, or even just fabricate your own 23"x4"x4" box from a larger piece of cardboard.)

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, it is the 4" minimum that is the problem when looking at USPS.com and/or using Click-N-Ship.  This is clearly stated in the official International Mail Manual here:

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_021.htm

However, is appears all third party postage providers have their calculators set to allow the 3" minimum instead.  I have talked to Pirate Ship and they are to get back to me with a specific answer as to why this is, but I don't expect to hear anything until after the weekend.

I suspect the difference has to do with third parties all providing commercial rates rather the standard rates provided by USPS Click-N-Ship.  Although you would think this would be spelled out somewhere in the official International Mail Manual, which I will inquire about as well.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply