cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interesting question regarding the new USPS surcharges of long packages

Hello all, I have been known to use a USPS priority mail tube box from time to time, but the new USPS surcharges impose a $4 price hike for packages longer that 22 inches and $15 for packages longer than 30 inches. these price jumps make using the large priority mail tubes impractical but, in my mind, the small priority mail tube at 25 inches has potential. Does anyone know is USPS allows resizing of non-flat rate priority mail packaging? it would be fairly simple to shorten the tube a few inches but wonder if USPS would try to collect the extra $4 even though the package was trimmed down to at or below 22 inches.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: interesting question regarding the new USPS surcharges of long packages

@slpentico wrote:

Hello all, I have been known to use a USPS priority mail tube box from time to time, but the new USPS surcharges impose a $4 price hike for packages longer that 22 inches and $15 for packages longer than 30 inches. these price jumps make using the large priority mail tubes impractical but, in my mind, the small priority mail tube at 25 inches has potential. Does anyone know is USPS allows resizing of non-flat rate priority mail packaging? it would be fairly simple to shorten the tube a few inches but wonder if USPS would try to collect the extra $4 even though the package was trimmed down to at or below 22 inches.

USPS has always allowed modification of normal USPS boxes BUT NOT flat rate boxes. Do it all the time. No problem. Just make sure you cover up (or better yet cut off) the UPC code on the box. It confuses the scanners on the APV machines into thinking that it is the original sized box which could result in an upcharge later on.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@slpentico wrote:

USPS has always allowed modification of normal USPS boxes BUT NOT flat rate boxes. Do it all the time. No problem. Just make sure you cover up (or better yet cut off) the UPC code on the box. It confuses the scanners on the APV machines into thinking that it is the original sized box which could result in an upcharge later on.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

awesome, never tried to mod their boxes.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply