cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

go through american express purchase protection or dispute a charge

Hi, I'm hesitating on whether to make a purchase protection claim or dispute a charge.

I bought a camera on ebay. The camera arrived with a minor issue on its power switch. Since it doesn't affect use in most cases I didn't initiate a return on ebay. Later, after very slight uses, the camera came out with a bigger problem, and it's not usable now. By that time, it has passed the 30 days limit on MBG.

Paypal denied my claim because I've used the camera for a while, and the camera broke down after its arrival.

Now, I think there are two options. I can file a claim under my credit card's purchase protection. It's a program covering damages or theft after purchasing. Or, I can dispute the charge for the reason that the item has some inherent defect.

Any advice on what I shall do? Or, any other option I might have ignored?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@boletuscc wrote:

I bought a camera on ebay. The camera arrived with a minor issue on its power switch.

Later, after very slight uses, the camera came out with a bigger problem, and it's not usable now.

Go with the chargeback first, instead of the insurance.

You can file a chargeback if you discover any Goods Defective or Not as Described within the 60 days of the statement date following the purchase on ordinary credit cards.

But for most Amex you have up to a year, and even no limit on some Amex cards.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As the other poster said, go with your CC company. You haven't mentioned whether the camera was sold as new, used, as is? That may affect the 'case.' Don't refer to any inherent defects or other make up stuff. Just state the case, like you did above, first about the power switch and then that after x days the camera has stopped working at all and is unusable. It's good to mention what the 'bigger' problem is.

Have you contacted the seller? CC companies  like to see the buyer and seller trying to work out the problem before submitting the case. I would contact the seller before filing a case (you have plenty of time to do that) if the seller refuses to cooperate, this would strengthen your case.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

PS. Paypal is such a fraud in regard to disputes, so what that the camera has broken down after use?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for the guide! The camera is a used one. The bigger problem is that the winding disk got stuck suddenly. Then, the film can't be advanced. This makes the camera unstable at all.

My hesitation is that the purchase protection is also associated with my credit card. It's a beneficiary provided by a third party insurance company but offered by American Express. This is my understanding. I might be incorrect about the relationship here.

I've contacted the seller. The seller didn't want to refund me, and escalated my case to a PayPal claim.

By the way, I have 90days for the insurance, and 120day or more for the dispute.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify. 

Thank you for the guide! The camera is a used one. My hesitation is that the purchase protection is also associated with my credit card. Shall I still go with disputation first?

have 90days for the purchase protection. But I didn't find any clear statement on the time limit of disputation. I find in a guide for merchant provided my American Express says the time limit is 120day. Do you have any idea on the number. My card is Hilton Aspire.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply