cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping question

I would like to use the new eBay International Shipping program. I've never shipped anything overseas. This sounds like an easy way to do that. My question is do I have to have the item weight and dimensions in every listing? I currently have over 1k items in my store and I don't have any item listed with weight and package dimensions.  I have searched high and low and haven't found a solid answer. 

Thanks in advance 

Nathan 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you do not eBay will guess the weight and packaging size. They will do this by looking at other "like" items. 

This can make you item more expensive for the buyer so it could also cost you sales.

If you update your items to have weights and package measurements, free shipping or not, the potential international buyer will see the correct fees and not a guess by eBays system.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

This may not work for you but if you are selling items that are similar to size and weight, you may want to consider setting up a shipping policy for them. (policy for magazines, VHS tapes, CD's ect.) Some sellers set up a policy using USPS Flat rate boxes (for Larger items) that will give Ebay the dimensions. I would also suggest adding the weight as klhmdg posted previously. 

If you are not offering many items or you have items with different sizes and weights for international sales, you may want to box each item up and weigh it so they are ready to go. 

Good luck

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I use shipping policies but they wouldn't work for this since I've built them for domestic shipping. None of them are flat rate. It looks like I'm going to have to weight all my items to be on the safe side.  I have a couple of large categories that wont be a big issue (DVD, Comics) but over half of my items are too random and would need to be looked at individually.  Thanks guys for the help. I need to rearrange and audit my inventory anyways so this will help motivate me to just go ahead and do it all at the same time. Not something I'm looking forward to. LOL  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I've shipped several items through the program.  I have never put package dimensions in any of my listings. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

A little off the original question, but since you have shipped using the program and mentioned you didn't enter dimensions in the listings, did you use a box smaller than 7.25" x 10.25"?   

I am considering using the program, but I just read on the program's terms page that  "Packages must meet or exceed 7.25 inches in width  and 10.25 inches in length".  All the items I want to sell, fit in smaller boxes than that...mainly  6" x 6" x 4" or  8" x 8" x 1".   

Thanks in advance for your time if you can help answer this. 🙂

Message 6 of 6
latest reply