cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer returned the item but did not request for a refund

Hi,

I took a chance and sold an item to a new ebay user and the payment was instant. However, 2 weeks later, I received an item back without any messages or refund request. I sent her a message saying that she will need to request the refund in order for me to process the refund. I do not know if I should wait until the buyer request the refund? I am pretty new to ebay and I am still learning. Can anyone help me?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can cancel the order at Buyers Request and refund the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@cathyflower84 wrote:

Hi,

I took a chance and sold an item to a new ebay user and the payment was instant. However, 2 weeks later, I received an item back without any messages or refund request. I sent her a message saying that she will need to request the refund in order for me to process the refund. I do not know if I should wait until the buyer request the refund? I am pretty new to ebay and I am still learning. Can anyone help me?

Why would you do that? I always let sleeping dogs lie. Anything you write can and will be used against you at eBay. Also, I NEVER suggest buyers open a case for something I can handle myself.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

You can cancel the order at Buyers Request and refund the buyer.

The OP runs a risk of a defect doing that (unless they have something in eBay messages from that buyer to cancel), someday (soon) eBay is going to catch on to that. Also, the OP can't do a partial refund so they are out the original shipping by doing that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Was the package returned as undeliverable or perhaps misdelivered and rejected by a recipient other than your buyer? If so, asking the buyer for a "good" address is preferable to simply making a refund without communicating. Perhaps the buyer isn't even aware the package came back to you. But if the buyer does not respond within a few days (allow for holiday weekend delay), then you can initiate a cancellation and refund citing "problem with buyer's address." ~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I took a chance and sold an item to a new ebay user and the payment was instant. 

Is there another option? 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Best offer, I see.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
latest reply