cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there be duties on returned product?

So I just returned something on eBay and it was my first time returning online. I didn't realize that I could use the original label for returns and ended up buying a new label (from Canada to US).

I emailed the tracking to seller after marking as shipped (it wouldn't let me change the tracking from the original USPS one) but now I'm worried that they might get charged for duties. I declared the item as "returning purchased product" and went out of my way to tape over the old label. I thought this would be fine but now that I'm realizing how unconventional this was, will the CBP let it through without duties?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

For USA residents, there is no customs fees unless the item exceeds $750.00 (or perhaps $800.00....I always forget).

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

For USA residents, there is no customs fees unless the item exceeds $750.00 (or perhaps $800.00....I always forget).

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Wow, wish it was like that here. I guess that works out since the product is below that. Thank you

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

$800 🙂

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@lumingzhelumingzhe5 wrote:

So I just returned something on eBay and it was my first time returning online. I didn't realize that I could use the original label for returns and ended up buying a new label (from Canada to US).

I emailed the tracking to seller after marking as shipped (it wouldn't let me change the tracking from the original USPS one) but now I'm worried that they might get charged for duties. I declared the item as "returning purchased product" and went out of my way to tape over the old label. I thought this would be fine but now that I'm realizing how unconventional this was, will the CBP let it through without duties?

In order to have used the original label you would have had to write return to sender on it and it could take a very long time to be returned.  (I don’t even know if Canada Post would accept an opened package without paying for postage again). Also, if the seller didn’t refund you on their own, eBay would not do so as simply returning to sender is construed as you having refused the package which would void the MBG.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@disneyshopper wrote:

I had to check the other day... it's $800

Message 6 of 6
latest reply