cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the shipping fee coming out of my account

sailor.ralf-1
Adventurer

Hello,  Today I sold a $10.00 item, and it has been awhile since I sold anything.  A pair of handmade earrings.

The shipping on this less than 2 ounce item was $3.47 in a 5"x7" padded envelope.  I got a message that I paid the $3.47.  Why???

Am I missing something here?   God...I hope not!

Thanks

RM

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Well, you charge the customer the postage or incorporate it into the price of the item.  When YOU buy a shipping label it has nothing to do with the customer at that point.  Your sale and your purchase of the shipping label are two separate transactions.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Because you offered free shipping to your customer.  That makes it free to your customer, but the somebody that has to pay it is you.

--
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You offered First Class shipping "Free" to the buyer, not sure I understand your question. Who did you expect to pay for the shipping? 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

"Free Shipping" does not mean that it is free to both the seller & the buyer.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You paid the shipping, and it came out of your account, and was from the funds you received when you sold the item. It is only free shipping for the buyer (not really), not for the seller. Cost of shipping and fees needs to be built into the selling cost of the item. There is no such thing as free shipping for buyer or seller.

You are paying fees on the total selling price of $10 + maybe tax. Your buyer might be paying sales tax, so they will see a higher cost at their end. What that means is you are not only paying shipping out of the $10, your FVF based on the total amount the buyer really paid. (approx. $10.10 if the buyer's state has sales tax). So ball park the FVF's are say $1.50, then add the transaction fee of $.30, the $3.47 shipping.  That will give you your approx net.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Do you think the United States Postal Service will deliver those earrings to their buyer for - - - - 
FREE?  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You buy USPS shipping from eBay.  They get a group discount.  If you don't want it coming out of your account take it the PO and pay cash.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

The earrings you sold say "free shipping (that means YOU pay shipping).   USPS is never free...either you or customer pays.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@sailor.ralf-1 wrote:

Hello,  Today I sold a $10.00 item, and it has been awhile since I sold anything.  A pair of handmade earrings.

The shipping on this less than 2 ounce item was $3.47 in a 5"x7" padded envelope.  I got a message that I paid the $3.47.  Why???

Am I missing something here?   God...I hope not!

Thanks

RM

It would help if you would explain to us who you think should have paid for the postage.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

When a seller lists an item with FREE SHIPPING, the usually means that the seller has figured the shipping price into the price of the item he is selling.

If FREE SHIPPING meant that no one had to pay the shipping cost, wouldn't every single seller list with FREE SHIPPING?

And wouldn't that mean that UPS, USPS, FedEx etc would be out of business pretty quickly with no funds coming in?  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@sailor.ralf-1 wrote:

Hello,  Today I sold a $10.00 item, and it has been awhile since I sold anything.  A pair of handmade earrings. The shipping on this less than 2 ounce item was $3.47 in a 5"x7" padded envelope.  I got a message that I paid the $3.47.  Why???

I assume you got that message after you printed a shipping label for the package?

And in order to print that label, you had to click a button that said "Purchase shipping label"?

And on the screen where you chose the shipping service, it also showed you the dollar amount due ... and a section entitled "Choose how to pay"?

And then it required you to click another button that said "Purchase shipping label"?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

sailor.ralf-1
Adventurer

Thank You

Message 13 of 13
latest reply