cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did seller ship via UPS knowing there's a strike coming?

I ordered a hockey jersey from Ontario, Canada that's being shipped to the USA via UPS Standard. The seller insisted on shipping via UPS despite the likely strike that'll happen August 1st. I'm extremely worried I won't recieve my jersey as the strike will happen and it'll simply sit in a warehouse for months or even worse, get forgotten about entirely. Will I still be able to open a claim for goods not received in the event the strike does happen? I'm confused as to why the seller didn't use FedEx or Canada Post as both ship to the USA and neither are currently at risk of strike.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Did the listing say it would be shipping by UPS?

Maybe UPS is more convenient for the seller?

Maybe UPS was cheaper then FedEx or Canada Post?

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The listing said it would ship via Canada Post USA tracked. I normally wouldn't care, but UPS is striking on the 1st and there's a good chance my stuff won't arrive in time. I'm just confused why they would continue to ship via UPS knowing there's a strike and the goods may not arrive beforehand.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

The strike is not a done deal. They are still negotiating. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Follow eBay's announcements board:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/bg-p/Announcements

eBay will post updates if a strike happens on how transactions will be impacted.

A strike would have a major impact on more than just UPS shipments. Hoping the parties will come to some sort of agreement to avoid the strike.

We've got almost a week before the contract expires. At this point I wouldn't worry because why add stress to your life when nothing's happened yet and your package might still get here before the 1st?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

LOS ANGELES, July 25 (Reuters) - United Parcel Service (UPS) (UPS.N) and the Teamsters union representing 340,000 employees at the package delivery firm plan to meet on Tuesday in an effort to avert a threatened strike on Aug. 1.

I do agree with @wastingtime101 ....why add stress to your life when nothing's happened yet and your package might still get here before the 1st

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I do not know ....

I hope they don't but ....

We put our eBay store on Time Away until it is resolved.

We don't want our shipment lost in limbo until they end it if it begins.

Regretfully, we went though the 1997 fiasco.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@trahu_4 

As a buyer, you have MBG for INR. Why stress yourself worrying about something that might or might not happen a month from now?!

Sheesh. Just wait it out and don't sweat the small stuff. (Credit to Richard Carlson.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Why do you think any of us know the seller's reasons and what they were thinking?  We don't.  And why worry about this until it happens?

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

There's a huge chance they might not have even ever heard of the strike. Not everybody stays tuned into those types of things. Plus apparently they reached an agreement so it's a moot point.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/25/ups-teamsters-reach-contract-to-avoid-strike-union-says.html

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@trahu_4 wrote:

The listing said it would ship via Canada Post USA tracked. I normally wouldn't care, but UPS is striking on the 1st and there's a good chance my stuff won't arrive in time. I'm just confused why they would continue to ship via UPS knowing there's a strike and the goods may not arrive beforehand.

If the listing said it would ship Canada Post, they should have shipped that way and don't know why they would have changed.

What is the estimated delivery date.

If you don't get, you'll be covered by the MBG, so you won't have to worry about that.

Have a great day.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

A settlement has been announced.

The Teamsters won BIG

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

A settlement has been announced.

The Teamsters won BIG

So this whole thread was much ado about nothing, just like the OP was told.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Not necessarily, I heard a majority of the UPS workers feel betrayed by the Teamsters and may still strike.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

You are just bound and determined to worry about this, aren't you?  Life is too short.  Relax until there is actually a problem.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply