cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I select Media Mail?

afletcher1017
Adventurer

Hi, I just created a listing and I'm not able to select media mail for the shipping service.  Any ideas on how I can fix it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-We-Stand-by-Ross-Perot-Signed-First-Edition/233227095827

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's a book. Of course it's eligible.  

The problem is, the seller has listed it in a Collectibles category for presidential memorabilia.  In its efforts to combat Media Mail abuse, eBay has started to make Media Mail inaccessible when printing shipping labels for certain categories and is now apparently also limiting access to setting it up as an offering in listings.

If this is the case, then the only ways to offer Media Mail for this item would be to list it in a Books category, or set up a generic "Economy shipping" flat rate.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Perhaps it does NOT qualify for media mail. Remember it's postal fraud, a federal crime , if the item does NOT qualify for media mail rate.
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Are you sending a record or a CD? If item is not media - then it does not qualify to be sent using that class. Some books might can be if there is no advertising in them - like a novel or a cookbook. Magazines do not qualify.  When you set the ad up, did you select media as an option then? 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

It's a book. Of course it's eligible.  

The problem is, the seller has listed it in a Collectibles category for presidential memorabilia.  In its efforts to combat Media Mail abuse, eBay has started to make Media Mail inaccessible when printing shipping labels for certain categories and is now apparently also limiting access to setting it up as an offering in listings.

If this is the case, then the only ways to offer Media Mail for this item would be to list it in a Books category, or set up a generic "Economy shipping" flat rate.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

Are you sending a record or a CD? 

The OP provided a link to the item listing in the first post. It's a book.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Plus since he is charging $9.50, he can afford to send it priority.  Media mail will be much less than that.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The listing is currently set up to charge calculated shipping for Parcel Select Ground. Indeed, this costs about the same as Priority Mail.  I think his question was about wanting to offer Media Mail so he wouldn't have to charge as much for shipping.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Oh I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  It looked to me like he was offering economy shipping for $9.50 just to ship a paperback book.  I probably missed something.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Wrong category for MM.

You can set a non-calculated (flat rate) generic economy shipping. $4 should cover it if it's less than two pounds.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@nmemoryof wrote:

Oh I see.  Thanks for the clarification.  It looked to me like he was offering economy shipping for $9.50 just to ship a paperback book.  I probably missed something.

What he charged is irrelevant.  eBay needs to NOT play Super Nanny with Media Mail shipping.

Just put it last on the list of choices and maybe add popup a warning.

(I sold an instruction book for a small appliance and eBay wouldn't let me use Media mail. HOW ABSURD!!)

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Very simple. Sign up for an account with pirateship and import your order there.

This shows you how far out of touch eBay managment is with reality. It clearly shows the company does not eat its own dog food. Its like they did not even test their new shipping label "service" before launching it into the open. How many years old is eBay now and eBay management does not know its better to list some books in collectibles and other categories that pertain to the book. This is why they are not longer the 800 pound gorilla in the room - they just don't care.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I don't think what he charges for shipping is irrelevant.  He is charging enough to cover priority mail.

Anyway, on the subject of eBay.  In this case I see their point.  It is not a media category.  They get complaints from every direction.  One of those directions must be the Post Office.  So they are looking for ways to cut down on postal cheats.  A few people are inconvenienced.  Can't the OP just buy that postage at the Post Office and then upload the tracking number?

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Offer economy shipping in the listing and choose media mail when printing the label.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

It's hard to believe that with 12 replies no one has given the OP a solution.

afletcher, First you need to place it in the correct catagory, BOOKS. You then can add a second category of POLITICAL. This will open up the use of Media Mail. In addition to the Media Mail shipping I would also add Priority  Flat Rate Envelope, which would be a faster shipping option and be less than your current Parcel Select option. 

I would also ditch the Local Pickup. Because of course some will always choose the cheapest option without even looking that its local pickup. 

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:

It's hard to believe that with 12 replies no one has given the OP a solution.

afletcher, First you need to place it in the correct catagory, BOOKS. ...

I suggested that in post #4. Paying to list in two categories doesn't make sense.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply