cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did UPS start using private vehicles for delivery? Strange shipping experience as buyer....

I just had a item arrive via UPS that was supposedly shipped via USPS back on Dec 5.

I won the item on Nov 28 and shipping method shows USPS Expedited Service $8.95. Est, Delivery showed as Dec 10 through 12.  Seller had 0 feedback.  It was a $3 item win so I took the chance.  

Dec 6 Seller finally creates USPS label after 7 days

Dec 9  Tracking shows 'accepted at USPS PO in KY'

Dec 13, Processed through regional in KY

Dec 18, Processed through Atl regional PO

Dec 21 Arrived at NY regional center

Dec 22 Processed through NJ regional PO

Dec 24 'Arrived at different NJ Regional Processing Center

Dec 26 Out for delivery - No show

Dec. 27 Processed through Phila. Regional PO

Dec 29 Out for delivery - No SHow again

Dec 30 Processed through NJ regional center

Jan 2 UPS email saying I have a package being delivered Tomorrow

Jan 3 Delivery via UPS but with USPS label with different tracking number and driver was in a Cadillac SUV

Item arrives in Amazon box with TX return address to my address on a USPS label beneath a UPS      shipping sleeve, from which the driver wearing a UPS uniform removed the label and took a pic of the label and box on my step, then kept the label

My eBay tracking box shows 'check back later' 

Jan 4 Tracking now shows UPS with UPS tracking number but the number shows 'error, check back later'

By tonight, the tracking was gone and the USPS tracking number shows it was delivered on Dec 22.

When I bought the item, the seller showed several similar items for sale, but had no feedback rating, despite having four positive buyer feedbacks and a negative for cancelling an foreign buyer's sale.

After I won the item for $3, he raised the price on all the other items and they didn't sell and none were relisted. I left positive feedback yesterday but today when I looked to see if it helped his feedback, his feedback showed -2 in red with no positive seller feedback. Now, tonight, the user is gone?

**bleep** happened here?

I won an item in KY, the label shows it was shipped from TX via USPS, with a tracking number that shows it was delivered on a different date and it finally arrives  via a guy in a UPS uniform driving a gold Escalade with giant chrome rims on it who takes a pic of the package and label then keeps the label and leaves???

Does UPS use independent drivers in private vehicles?

I paid for Priority Mail, but it shows up UPS?

The item was in an Amazon box, but it was sealed with regular packing tape so he likely just reused the box.

The label on the box was stuck on over the tape that sealed it, and there were no other labels other than the one the driver pulled from the clear sleeve stuck over top the USPS label .

It arrived in good condition, so I'm happy as a buyer but as someone who has sold here for over 25 years, I'm perplexed as to what when on with this package?
If it was accepted in KY, at the latest I'd expect it in a week here in NJ via Priority Mail, even during the holiday. But no, it takes a tour through four states, and gets dropped off by a non postal employee???

The guy driving the SUV was wearing what looked like a UPS uniform, I did notice the UPS embroidered patch on it but was a different shade of brown. The driver parked in the neighbor's driveway and went there first, then to my house leaving the SUV in their driveway. Doing so put it out of camera range. The driver also never stepped up on the porch, he took a pic, then slid the box onto the edge of the step and jogged back to his Escalade sat in the SUV for a minute or so, then backed out left. All I could see in the vid was a gold Cadillac with oversize chrome wheels playing loud music.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

When did UPS start using private vehicles for delivery? Strange shipping experience as buyer....

During busy package delivery times I have seen UPS, USPS and Fedx using private vehicles.  Also, UPS, Fedx and Amazon have unique arrangements with the USPS to deliver their packages.  What I have noticed when the carriers are having another carrier make the delivery is that it always takes longer.  Often Tracking will show out for delivery but it is not out for delivery to the customer, it is out to delivery to the next carrier.  Basically taking another day or so to arrive to customer.

I have seen various carriers use a childs wagon for package delivery and sometime an electrict golf cart like vehicle.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

They have done that for over 16 years now.  It was often used during the holidays to handle the volume.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

What I really found odd was that minutes after that package arrived, a real UPS truck pulled up to the house across the street for a delivery.

While I'm not thrilled about a less than a pound package taking more than a month to arrive, after being charged for Priority Mail, it did get here eventually and I didn't pay much for the item overall, even with shipping.

Packages that I shipped all went out the day they were ordered and arrived in 3 to 4 days during that same period.
What got me was that it showed USPS tracking the whole way, even up to my local PO dist. center, but then it comes to the door via UPS. If it was at the PO, since it was a small box, and the mail truck had to come here any way, why on earth did they hand it off to UPS for the last 1/4 mile of the delivery?

I'm thinking the tracking info was **bleep**, the number that showed for over 4 weeks on my 'Purchases' page was not found anywhere on that package, nor was any UPS number. The number that was on the label said it was delivered to me over a week before it showed up.
Plus, the clear UPS sleeve was stuck over top of the eBay printed USPS label.

My problem isn't with how it got here my problem is with the fact that the tracking basically meant nothing.

It makes me wonder about items I ship myself.

If the seller would have looked at the tracking last week going by the label on the box, it showed as delivered, while it wasn't even in my state yet.

To sum it up, tracking was showing the route of a number that I never did end up with in hand, and the number on the actual box never showed in the tracking box at My eBay, and the driver likely removed what ever label was in that sleeve upon delivery.

It all just seems a bit sketchy to me, especially being someone who's been  shipping items for over 25 years now. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply