cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the catch to the new eBay International Shipping program?

I'm sure I am not the only eBay seller here who has received several messages about a new eBay International Shipping Program.  They make it sound so great that, instinctively, I have to ask how much sellers have to pay for all these improvements.  eBay states that it reduces seller costs by 13, with an asterisk, but I can't find details anywhere.  There summary makes it look like eBay is offering to cover the cost of a return shipping label if an international buyer starts a return.   eBay also states that the seller "gets to keep the sale" in the event of an international return.     

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumor that if a seller chooses the new eBay International Shipping service that they must not offer any other international shipping services?

I currently use USPS First Class International Package and eBay Standard International Delivery for most of my listings (unless the item is so heavy that the cost of international shipping is prohibitive).  I prefer USPS, since eBay Standard International Delivery won't pay more than $100 on damage claims, and since so many international customers who choose this service ask me where there package is.  Apparently the new service has transparent tracking.   Does anyone know who pays for the improvements?   In 23 years of selling on eBay, the answer is almost always the seller, but the fee details are rarely announced upfront.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What's the catch to the new eBay International Shipping program?

@ccex wrote:

I'm sure I am not the only eBay seller here who has received several messages about a new eBay International Shipping Program.  They make it sound so great that, instinctively, I have to ask how much sellers have to pay for all these improvements.  eBay states that it reduces seller costs by 13, with an asterisk, but I can't find details anywhere.  There summary makes it look like eBay is offering to cover the cost of a return shipping label if an international buyer starts a return.   eBay also states that the seller "gets to keep the sale" in the event of an international return.     

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumor that if a seller chooses the new eBay International Shipping service that they must not offer any other international shipping services?

I currently use USPS First Class International Package and eBay Standard International Delivery for most of my listings (unless the item is so heavy that the cost of international shipping is prohibitive).  I prefer USPS, since eBay Standard International Delivery won't pay more than $100 on damage claims, and since so many international customers who choose this service ask me where there package is.  Apparently the new service has transparent tracking.   Does anyone know who pays for the improvements?   In 23 years of selling on eBay, the answer is almost always the seller, but the fee details are rarely announced upfront.

Hey @ccex! The Shipping Team wanted to reach out and share the following with you:

"When your account is opted into the program, your listings will always default to eBay International Shipping. You can still customize your international shipping options to ship directly to buyers by adding an additional international shipping service to your listings business policies. You can also specify which shipping service you want to use for specific countries. For example, you can set your preferences to ship to Canada through a standard carrier that provides international service, but still use eBay International Shipping for the remaining eligible countries."

Devon,
eBay
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If you did not use the Global Shipping Program then you may not notice the price difference.  I checked the price for a 2 pound package valued at $100. The price was between the Global Shipping Program fees and eBay Standard International Shipping fees.  The new shipping states you will not be charged the international transaction fee of 1.65% if you use it plus your item if fully covered for loss.

I believe you can offer the new shipping as well as USPS.  If you do this, click on one of your listing to see shipping cost and then change your location to any country to check the rates.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I think that eBay has said that all of the international shipping services have door to door tracking although I've read  many posts from buyers who have mentioned the lack of tracking on gsp and international standard transactions once the package leaves the US.  I haven't read many posts about the new program so I guess we will see how well the tracking works for it.

It is surprising that ebay is waiving the international fee for this service. I wonder if that will be permanent.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

It is surprising that ebay is waiving the international fee for this service. I wonder if that will be permanent.

I think it is an introductory offer to get people to use it.  Once enough people use it I think some of the incentives to use it may disappear.  Sort of like how Managed Payment offered $50 to sign up and a fee reduction for basic accounts to overall 12.35%.  When most people signed up then it went to 12.55%. Now that it is required for everyone the fee is 12.9%.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hey devon@ebay. While on the subject of eIS and how it's gradually replacing GSP - can you check with the appropriate teams whether or not eIS will have the same exemption from Time Away settings that GSP does? I don't see it noted on the policy page here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

Nor do I see it mentioned on the blue warning box on the settings page here:

https://www.ebay.com/vac/timeaway

timeaway.png

Since many sellers are already enrolled and using eIS, plus we're at the time of year where many use Time Away settings over the holidays, this is important info that needs to be in the policy pages if it applies for eIS.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey devon@ebay. While on the subject of eIS and how it's gradually replacing GSP - can you check with the appropriate teams whether or not eIS will have the same exemption from Time Away settings that GSP does? I don't see it noted on the policy page here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling-tools/time-away?id=5137

Nor do I see it mentioned on the blue warning box on the settings page here:

https://www.ebay.com/vac/timeaway

timeaway.png

Since many sellers are already enrolled and using eIS, plus we're at the time of year where many use Time Away settings over the holidays, this is important info that needs to be in the policy pages if it applies for eIS.

Hey @wastingtime101! Let me get this over to our Shipping Team and once I get an update I will be sure to share it with you! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@ccex wrote:

eBay states that it reduces seller costs by 13, with an asterisk, but I can't find details anywhere.

Can you post a screenshot of that message? I couldn't find a copy of my own, but in the context of what you describe, it sounds like someone typed an asterisk when they meant to use a percent sign. (i.e. "reduces seller costs by 13%")

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@ccex wrote:

eBay states that it reduces seller costs by 13, with an asterisk, but I can't find details anywhere.

Can you post a screenshot of that message? I couldn't find a copy of my own, but in the context of what you describe, it sounds like someone typed an asterisk when they meant to use a percent sign. (i.e. "reduces seller costs by 13%")

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-international-shipping?mkevt=1&mkpid=2&emsid=0&mkcid...

stephenmorgan_0-1671736919137.png

If you read thru the page you will learn what the * means.

stephenmorgan_1-1671737034634.png

Message 9 of 9
latest reply