cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN

I shipped an item stuck as 

• Thursday, March 11 AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN since last Wednesday.  It is now Sunday.  I opened a Package Research Case on it.
  • Wednesday, March 10 OUT FOR DELIVERY

What does that even mean?  Delivered without a scan, never delivered? Stolen by Carrier?  Lost in Carrier's mail bag?

I have not heard a word out of the buyer and decided to not say a word because the buyer may likely have the item in which case he or she may never check back and open a bogus INR claiming he or she hasn't received it if in fact he or she did receive the item.  If I poke the bear... It is much more likely I will get an INR.

I did open a Package Research Case on it, so they can ask the Post Office, **bleep** happened?  Maybe the carrier remembers delivering it and will just update it manually to say delivered???  Who knows???

Why can't USPS be more like UPS or FedEx.  I guarantee if a delivery driver for UPS or FedEx accepted possession of a package and did not deliver it, there would be an exception and they would LOOK for it in the truck and either deliver it or have the carrier manually update it whatever, but it would be automated and somebody would get in trouble for not doing their job.  The employee would be told, "you scan every package every time if you want to keep getting a paycheck... and you had best not lose anything."

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Most likely the package actually was delivered and not scanned on delivery. I was on the receiving end of this recently. I had a return that was delivered but not scanned. I had the package, but the tracking still showed "Out for Delivery" for 2 days afterward. I took the package to the post office and asked to get a delivery scan so I could close out the return cleanly. The postal clerk actually refused to do it at first. She insisted that the carrier must have scanned it and the data would be updated eventually. Finally I convinced her to try scanning it, and though she was adamant that it would not work, it did. The tracking now shows Delivered.

So, when you see this on tracking, I'd assume the package was delivered unless the buyer says otherwise. You can always contact the buyer and confirm. That reminds me, I had another situation months ago where an outbound package was held for pickup, and the tracking never showed that the customer picked it up. I messaged him to remind him to pick it up before it bounced back to me, and he told me he picked it up weeks ago!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Check your Tracking Number on eBay and USPS.com  

I have had the Out For Delivery notice for several days before I actually received the package.  This has happened a few times to me.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@netwizz760 

Wednesday, March 10 OUT FOR DELIVERY  Means that the package should be with the carrier on route to your buyer...as in the ail person who actually delivers the pkg to their door.

Thursday, March 11 AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN means exactly that.  It could be that the carrier did not scan the pkg delivered...what state was this pkg being delivered in?  I am asking b/c there are states that have had delays due to weather or serious backlog - particularly in the northeast area (PA, NJ and some areas of NY.)

In regards to your buyer, good idea...I think that I would keep quiet too...just wait & see what happens.  Let them make the first point of contact if there is any to make.

I hope that it all works out.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks.  The State is South Carolina, and it has been a beautiful 72F to 75F without any rain or gusty winds the entire time since this package shipped.  The package was literally shipped to Myrtle Beach, SC from West Columbia, SC.  It is NOT very many miles.

There is simply no excuse for USPS to mess up such a simple delivery.  Heck, this one would fit in a mailbox even being a 6x4x4 box.

I opened the package research case but said nothing...  With luck USPS will update it to delivered or the buyer will not make contact.  Either one will be a win.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Expect that USPS will have some wacko tracking issues due to their incessant and continued overload and poor service.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Would you mind updating what ended up happening? Same thing happening to me right now.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Most likely the package actually was delivered and not scanned on delivery. I was on the receiving end of this recently. I had a return that was delivered but not scanned. I had the package, but the tracking still showed "Out for Delivery" for 2 days afterward. I took the package to the post office and asked to get a delivery scan so I could close out the return cleanly. The postal clerk actually refused to do it at first. She insisted that the carrier must have scanned it and the data would be updated eventually. Finally I convinced her to try scanning it, and though she was adamant that it would not work, it did. The tracking now shows Delivered.

So, when you see this on tracking, I'd assume the package was delivered unless the buyer says otherwise. You can always contact the buyer and confirm. That reminds me, I had another situation months ago where an outbound package was held for pickup, and the tracking never showed that the customer picked it up. I messaged him to remind him to pick it up before it bounced back to me, and he told me he picked it up weeks ago!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I think it was delivered because I never heard a peep out of the buyer... by now there would be a “where is my stuff” message or an INR.

Here is the wonderful USPS at work

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I am now in the same situation, just noticed that one package is stuck with "awaiting delivery scan" since two weeks ago, and now buyer asked me where is my stuff..

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It means you're about to get screwed. They will always rule in the buyer's favor even when the item is "lost." I just went through it. Item was out for delivery in the USPS truck on a saturday. Then sunday morning at 2am was marked as "awaiting delivery scan." Item was never marked as delivered and sure enough the buyer filed a dispute. Was ruled in their favor. I appealed it bc its clear the item was "lost", stolen, or actually delivered and lost the appeal. Sellers have ZERO protection other than insuring every item you sell.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply