cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight amount wrong on label

I realized I had the wrong weight entered on the ebay label but only after I had applied the label to the package. I should have cancelled the label and printed the correct one but I didn't. When I got to the post office I tole the clerk what I had done and asked if I could pay the difference. Sure not a problem,  She gave me a receipt that reflected the original label and who it was going to. She charged me the difference and it was on the same receipt. Great, problem solved I thought, Next day I received a notice from eBay that I had underpaid on this particular transaction. Went to the post office this morning and no help. Clerk was not on duty that did the original change. Emailed ebay asking if I could send in a copy of my receipt showing that I had paid but no answer yet. Anything else I can do? I'm new at this and hate to start off with a negative.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Weight amount wrong on label

I have only done this a couple of times but when I was at the post office and I paid the difference the postal office printed a postage sticker that added the additional postage. Did they do that or did they just charge you? EBay is probably not going to be able to assist with this they are simply just getting a notification form USPS and letting you know about the undercharge. You will need to work this out with the PO. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What you need to do @roncarcowtown is follow the appeals process for USPS cost adjustments, and explain that you paid the difference at the PO and attach a copy of the receipt to your appeal.

Send USPS an email verifypostagehelp@usps.gov with the following details:

In order for USPS to investigate your dispute they must have the following information:

• Full Name
  • Phone Number with area code
  • Email
  • 10 digit Revenue Assurance ID or USPS Adjustment ID of each record to be reviewed
  • IMpb or tracking number starting with 94 or 420

If approved, USPS sends the refund to your original source of payment (credit card, bank, paypal, etc).

https://www.ebay.com/ship/lmng

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Automated-Package-Verification-Program

Next time, the best two options are:

1. Void the label and purchase a new one.

2. Ship it and let the APV system catch the underpayment and charge you after the fact.

But really, option 2 shouldn't be used if avoidable. Option 1 is the way to go.

As you've discovered, your honesty in reporting and paying at the counter caused issues.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the help. I see now that eBay has charged me for the amount that I under paid for shipping. I'm not sure it's worth trying to get any money back, think I'll just write it off as lesson learned. Next time I'll weigh the package.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I don't know if they printed a sticker or not, they did print out that I did pay the charge, Lesson learned, pay closer attention to helpful clerk. Best lesson learned is put the correct label on the package. Thanks for the reply.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Agree with you. Not worth your time and effort. I take photos of every package I mail. I got hit several times with en extra charge. I use pirate ship and they have a link to respond. I upload the photo to my site and provide a link in the response box (there is no option to add photos). Always got my refund and quite fast.

I mail lightweight packages, after so many years I can figure out the weight bracket, i.e. below 8 oz but above 4 oz. so I print the labels vene before I pack the items. Sometimes it is close above or below 4 ozs , but if I am in a rush, I print out an 8 oz label, don't cage about a few cents. In the past two months, I mailed at least three packages with 8 oz labels weighing <4 ozs.

I am still waiting for that magic USPS system to refund me the extra postage....Interesting, how it is in life, they charge you fast when you owe them, when  they owe you...not so fast or ever.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply