cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Fedex or UPS instead of USPS: dumb question despite my being on eBay since 1998

Hi, sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.  I've been on eBay since 1998 but have always used USPS for domestic shipping. This time, due to the size and weight of the item I want to sell, I think it'll be much cheaper to use UPS or Fedex ground.

My item is a king size comforter set and will be about 12 pounds when packed and measure about 23" X 23" X 12"

USPS will be insanely pricey but UPS and Fedex will be under $50 even from NC to CA.

Once I list and sell this item, and am ready to ship, can I just select either of those carriers when going to print a shipping label, and pay from sales funds same as with USPS?  Or do I need to first open an account with UPS or Fedex?

*blushing with shame for not knowing this after all these years*

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Using Fedex or UPS instead of USPS: dumb question despite my being on eBay since 1998

If your listing offers a choice of UPS, FedEx or USPS, you have to ship using the carrier/service the buyer selects at checkout. If you opt to use flat (or "free") ship costs instead of calculated ship costs, you can offer a generic "economy" service that does not specify carrier in which case you can ship using any carrier with economy or better service.

If you purchase the label through eBay you will be using eBay's UPS/FedEx account; no need to open your own.

Purchasing the label using eBay's account, with their estimated rates for UPS/FedEx, you may see cost adjustments after the fact. I encourage you to review carefully things that can result in cost adjustments. There is a link to each carrier's terms on this page under the "irregular or non conforming package" section:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/preparing-your-shipment/packaging-and-measuring

Cost adjustments can be applied after the fact if the seller uses too much tape, if they ship in a polymailer instead of a plain cardboard box, if they use a tube, if their package is irregularly shaped, if they exceed certain dimensions, and more.

You'll want to make sure you measure the outer dimensions of your box carefully, and enter proper weight, to avoid cost adjustments for dimensions/weight.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Re: Using Fedex or UPS instead of USPS: dumb question despite my being on eBay since 1998

Thank you so much, wastingtime!  You answered my question thoroughly and even questions I didn't think to ask (I tend to be a tape fiend, so now I know not to do that!)

I will visit the link you posted below it regarding the discussion on eBay discounted shipping.

And I will chose the box, measure,  and weigh carefully before I list so that I don't mess up!

You truly rock!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

No prob - come back if you have any more questions.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Some sellers don't have this option and for some locations Fedex and UPS are far more expensive than USPS

Message 5 of 5
latest reply