cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS shipping undercharging customers the correct amount

Anyone having problems with ebay shipping not calculating USPS shipping cost to the buyer correctly?  I know FedEx has been having issues over the last few weeks sending out "shortage" makeup bills, but now we are having issues with USPS costs as well.

We had an item listed at 2lb 6oz in a 9 x 9 x 9 box.   Customer selected USPS priority and ebay charged them $7.  Actual cost was $12.42.  

Customer Service told us they would send a technical report to have this looked at as they have seen more and more cases of this happening.  But what do we do in meantime, not ship, apply for credits & to whom?  Ask buyers for more money, pause all listing?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Knock on wood, all the USPS shipping charges have been spot on. No issues with the wight or dimensions. However, I use a flat rate shipping policy.

Good luck!

PS: if for what wever reason ebay under charges a calculated shipping label, I would absorb any extra adjusted cost.....that wouldn't be a customer problem.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@ryry-jj 

If you care to post the eBay item number the listing, members here can take a look at the listing.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Cubic shipping makes it more important to measure your boxes.  If your box was 1/4" over the 9x9x9 size, there can be cost adjustments.  Don't ever go by what is printed on the box.  It's easily off by 1/4".  Get a premium ruler and remeasure before you print labels to avoid issues.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It is with my wife's account, item id 166685018625

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Yes, I'm aware of that, but in this case the stated amount in the listing was the same as we put in the shipping label so the two weights and measurements matched.  But ebay/USPS charged the customer $7 while charging us/her $10.42.  The actual weight came in at 1lb 12oz so that is what we changed it to before actually buying the label.  That billed us at $8.82.

We played around a bit with the box size to see if anything came close to the $7 USPS priority rate, but 8 x 8 x 8, 7 x7 x7, 10 x 10 x 10 all at 1 lb 12 oz was about the same, and nothing close to $7.

Personally I was surprised any USPS priority mail rate from California to Oregon would be as low as $7 for a 1 lb 12oz package.  I would expect the higher price, but just don't know how ebay calculated the lower price

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ryry-jj wrote:

@ryry-jj 

I am not getting anything searching for 166685018625

Posting ID
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@ryry-jj wrote:

@ryry-jj 

I am not getting anything searching for 166685018625

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166685018625

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Thanks @nobody*s_perfect  .  Weird that my tablet would not pull it up, who knows......

@ryry-jj   

@I am seeing 2 options for shipping to Dallas.

USPS GA for $10.00

USPS Priority for $15.07

Did the buyer chose and pay for USPS GA? 

Posting ID
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The buyer selected USPS priority

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

That link takes me to it.  Standard shipping to myself is $6.24, so the priority out of state for $7 was a good deal for the buyer.  Still no idea how that calculated, nor does ebay

BTW, ebay has sent notice that they are working on updating default calculated shipping...which may just be corporate speak for,  'we got issues we are in the process of fixing them!'

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Did you send the buyer an invoice?

Terapeak shows this sold for $27 with $7 ship.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

No, they just paid the invoice ebay notifies them with.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks to all those who responded.

Funny thing, they buyer sent positive feedback and even mentioned the "very reasonable shipping charges" ...I guess we can thank ebay for that! 🙂

Message 14 of 14
latest reply