cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS misdelivered package- Says delivered to my front door :(- buyer won't refund

I'm having the worst luck ever.  USPS misdelivered my package and ebay seller best_buy won't refund me.  I called customer service Best Buy and they can't do anything because it's an ebay store.  Ebay best_buy won't refund me because tracking says delivered.  The package was an apple watch valued at $400.

Here's what I have done:  I contacted the Post office supervisor to get in touch with the mailman.  Mailman said she could not read the number so left it at a neighbors house.  The package is now missing.  The Supervisor and Postmaster will not update the tracking information nor give me a letter saying they lost my package.  

I have requested for a package search, I filed an investigation, and I filed an official complaint against the mail lady.  I also filed a Freedom of Information Act on all 3 cases in order to get documentation.

Post office tells me to contact Postal Inspector which I have done.  They don't care that they mishandled my package and say there's nothing else they can do...  I remind them by law they will need to eventually comply with my FOIA request.

I feel like I will still lose this case because the tracking says delivered to front door and no one cares.

If I do a charge back on my credit card PayPal will put me in a negative balance.

This is an extremely frustrating situation and I will probably have to ditch my PayPal account forever with the 400 charge back.

Do you guys have any other ideas I can try? I feel like I've tried everything...

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

USPS misdelivered package- Says delivered to my front door :(- buyer won't refund

I'm glad everything worked out for you. BUT your anger shouldn't be against EBay or even Best Buy. You should be angry with a incompetent mail carrier who should have taken the package back to the post office where it could have been researched for correct address or at the very least sent back to the sender as undeliverable. I would be concerned buying anything expensive from anywhere when you can't trust your carrier. Seems funny they couldn't read the address but what about the name on the package? Plus obviously the scan bar was still intact. 

You may seriously want to consider having your packages held at the post office for pickup.  Plus with the new informed delivery you can do everything online and they will send you notifications.  I know you said you worked from home but theives are so clever these days.

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I think it's VERY unfair that the OP left Best Buy negative feedback blaming them for mis-shipment when it clearly was not the fault of Best Buy.  It was the fault of the OP's carrier.  Maybe the OP should have that neg removed?

That's up to the OP, but I personally would be inclined to show the seller the same amount of concern that they showed the buyer.

Failing to insure for the full value and/or failing to file the insurance claim are both grounds for poor feedback.

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

I am simply rating the people in charge of the Best Buy eBay account. They showed lack of concern and were not helpful at all. Even Best Buy customer service was frustrated at the handling of their eBay account. Unfortunately Best Buy has eBay or a third party handle their eBay transactions.
Message 33 of 53
latest reply

Since tracking showed delivered maybe Best Buy knew they didn't have a leg to stand on in an insurance claim??  Even the OP with GSP showing it was delivered to another address didn't have a leg to stand on with USPS.  Blaming Best Buy for their lack of help in the situation is kind of bogus.  Best buy shipped it. Maybe the carrier should carry a magnifying glass so they can read labels?  Even the OP was out of luck with USPS helping them when it was clearly a USPS mistake in delivery.  Why should Best Buy suffer the neg feedback when the OP clearly knows it was not a "mis-shipment" as they stated in the feedback?  Best Buy did nothing wrong~~USPS did. 

If I as a seller had a package where tracking showed as delivered I wouldn't be able to help my buyer at all.  It would be up to the buyer to contact their post office to find out what happened.  The OP did that and found it was NOT the fault of the seller but it was the fault of their own carrier.  So~~why the neg for Best Buy?  OP got their courtesy refund from ebay and ebay even stated BEST BUY WAS NOT AT FAULT.  OP should realize too that they got a "courtesy refund" but it will be the one and only they will receive from ebay.  NOW it is up to the OP to protect their own package delivery because ebay isn't going to be so generous next time.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

USPS May have paid out the insurance claim assuming there was insurance. Best Buy should have filed the claim or at least helped the buyer do it. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@i-scoot wrote:

Unfortunately this experience has left an extremely bad taste.  I certainly will not be using ebay on expensive items any longer.  

I fail to see how this is eBay's fault.  The problem lies solely with your USPS carrier, meaning that it could happen again no matter where you purchase from.

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

Since tracking showed delivered maybe Best Buy knew they didn't have a leg to stand on in an insurance claim??

I suppose we could add their ignorance to the list of BBs poor service....  grinning

They felt no need to assist a customer who would be out 400 bucks.  I can't muster up a lot of compassion for them getting yet another red donut.

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

Failing to insure for the full value and/or failing to file the insurance claim are both grounds for poor feedback.

Why?  The package showed "Delivered."  At that point, the seller's job is done, and anything else is between the buyer and the carrier.  That is one of the few protections that sellers have.  If buyers could file cases willy-nilly on packages that were scanned as "Delivered," how many buyers would file false INR claims in an attempt to get their items for free?

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

Why?  The package showed "Delivered." 

For the very reason illustrated in this thread: usps makes mistakes just like everybody else.  Had the shipment been properly insured, and had the sender pursued the claim, USPS would have paid - which is exactly the desired outcome. 

At that point, the seller's job is done, and anything else is between the buyer and the carrier.

Some carriers won't even deal with claims from recipients, only with the sender.  But even those that accept claims from either party require cooperation from the other.

That is one of the few protections that sellers have.

Sellers that tell their buyers "well,  I'm covered, so too bad for you" should not be surprised to get negative feedback.

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

I guess leaving the seller neg feedback doesn't bother me so much as the OP saying they confirmed with USPS that Best Buy mis-shipped it.  OP confirmed with USPS that the carrier couldn't read the address so just delivered it randomly to another address when it shouldn't have been delivered at all.  Best buy didn't "mis-ship" it as the OP claims in the feedback they left the seller.  If the OP had been truthful in the feedback they left they SHOULD have said USPS "mis-delivered" it~~not that Best Buy "mis-shipped" it~~the blame should have been placed with USPS where it belongs.  OP expected Best Buy to refund them~~how many sellers here would have refunded when the package has been scanned as delivered?  Not me.  My problem is the OP lying in the feedback they left~~not that they left the feedback.

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

The only time I ever scan at the Jeep now is when the package or stack of packages is too unwieldy to carry the scanner with me. 

Quite a few times my Postmaster has printed these out for customers who claim that no one came to the door to attempt delivery. Go ask the Postmaster for a copy of one of these scans.

How does the GPS readout work those times when you scan packages at your jeep because it is too inconvenient to scan when you are supposed to (at the actual point of delivery)?

Do you have any hesitation whatsoever at admitting on a public discussion forum to not following USPS procedure?

Hon, If you can carry a 30"x36"x6" - 20# box with one hand so you have the other free to carry the scanner, let me know how to do it. 

These scans at the Jeep are few and far between except for a company that has been getting a lot of product return and 95% of their packages are like this or even larger. My Jeep is parked beside their building around 1000 to 1200 feet up the driveway from their mailbox on the road. I NEVER scan anything more than around 50 feet from my delivery point and as I am rural every scan is showing on the property I am delivering to.

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

I had something similar happen to me last year, and it was not eBay's fault, not the seller's fault, but the fault of the PO.  The last scan was showing it was in the PO care, but they denied it.  My item was not a $400 item and I don't live in a high crime area.  I did not leave my seller negative FB because it was not the seller's fault.  My seller was going to resend the item and I declined.  And to add, there was nothing for the seller to do.  I know some will say "well, the seller chose the carrier, blah blah blah, but the scan displayed "Delivered."  The postal employee was at fault.  The OP should have filed the complaint with the Postal Inspectors and allowed them to handle it, who would have gotten to the bottom of the situation either with a refund of the item or retrieved the item from where ever it was delivered to.  I would understand the OP's anger more if it was not delivered.

One more thing, the title should have "seller won't refund" instead of "buyer."  

I am so glad that I gave up selling here while I was still on top - no negs/no SNADS/chargebacks/no returns.  

Best of luck for those that still sell here because with everything working in the background in my life, I cannot handle the non-sense (not what I really want to say) with untruthful buyers.  

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

I thought anything with a value above $200 or so had to be shipped with signature confirmation

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

@glenvonnie wrote:

I thought anything with a value above $200 or so had to be shipped with signature confirmation

$750

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

@emerald1830 wrote:

If you live in a high crime area..why haven't you gotten a PO Box? 

Or arrange to have packages held athe the PO for you to pick them up.

Message 45 of 53
latest reply