cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS misdelivered package- Says delivered to my front door :(- buyer won't refund

I'm having the worst luck ever.  USPS misdelivered my package and ebay seller best_buy won't refund me.  I called customer service Best Buy and they can't do anything because it's an ebay store.  Ebay best_buy won't refund me because tracking says delivered.  The package was an apple watch valued at $400.

Here's what I have done:  I contacted the Post office supervisor to get in touch with the mailman.  Mailman said she could not read the number so left it at a neighbors house.  The package is now missing.  The Supervisor and Postmaster will not update the tracking information nor give me a letter saying they lost my package.  

I have requested for a package search, I filed an investigation, and I filed an official complaint against the mail lady.  I also filed a Freedom of Information Act on all 3 cases in order to get documentation.

Post office tells me to contact Postal Inspector which I have done.  They don't care that they mishandled my package and say there's nothing else they can do...  I remind them by law they will need to eventually comply with my FOIA request.

I feel like I will still lose this case because the tracking says delivered to front door and no one cares.

If I do a charge back on my credit card PayPal will put me in a negative balance.

This is an extremely frustrating situation and I will probably have to ditch my PayPal account forever with the 400 charge back.

Do you guys have any other ideas I can try? I feel like I've tried everything...

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

USPS misdelivered package- Says delivered to my front door :(- buyer won't refund

@i-scoot wrote:

Yes, the postal worker and I both have gone to the house and left notes there.  This is why USPS wanted to get the Postal Inspector Involved- to retrieve the package.

I believe the seller is responsible for delivering the package to me.  USPS is acting as an agent of the seller.  In a perfect world the seller refunds me and files a claim with USPS.  Customer service at Best Buy agreed with me and tried to refund me but couldn't because ebay handles their ebay store as a third party...  

What irritates me is I can't get any documentation of a misdelivery, USPS screwed me over and won't extend the courtesey of helping me.  Unfortunately the FOIA request on my claims could take a long time...

I am a mail carrier. You can and should get a print out of where exactly the package was scanned delivered. We all carry scanners with GPS now, they will show where the scan was made to as little as 5 feet. The only time I ever scan at the Jeep now is when the package or stack of packages is too unwieldy to carry the scanner with me. 

Quite a few times my Postmaster has printed these out for customers who claim that no one came to the door to attempt delivery. Go ask the Postmaster for a copy of one of these scans. This is what the Postal Inspectors will use to go after the person with your item as it is illegal to keep a missdelivered package.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

If you file an eBay or PayPal case, you will lose. The seller is not responsible. The post office is. If you file a chargeback, it won’t affect your PayPal account. The seller will not have to refund you thanks to PayPal seller protection. If the credit card company honors the chargeback, PayPal takes the hit. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Why should they refund you...they did nothing wrong. It is on USPS.
Message 3 of 53
latest reply

paypal should not have to take the hit and that is bad advice to screw over a company that did nothing wrong. USPS is the only company that should be pursued in this.
Message 4 of 53
latest reply

@bewitched777 wrote:
paypal should not have to take the hit and that is bad advice to screw over a company that did nothing wrong. USPS is the only company that should be pursued in this.

@bewitched777 Where’s the bad advice? I didn’t actually give any advice. The OP mentioned a chargeback & that he is worried about the impact to his PP account. I simply stated what the outcome would be. I did not suggest he do anything or advise him, so you are mistaken. Thanks!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 53
latest reply

If you funded with credit card, call the number on the card and request a chargeback. 

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

paypal should not have to take the hit and that is bad advice to screw over a company that did nothing wrong.

But the buyer - who never even saw the package - should?

USPS is the only company that should be pursued in this.

That only works if the seller insured for the proper value and is willing to fight for the claim.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

That outcome only happens if he goes that route. I would not of given advice knowing it means screwing over an innocent party in it.
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

OP has already left a (pre-resolution, too) neg against the seller. But yes, this IS a USPS issue Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

Have you tried knocking on the neighbors door and asking him for the package?

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

You cant mention other buyers and sellers by name here.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Yes, the postal worker and I both have gone to the house and left notes there.  This is why USPS wanted to get the Postal Inspector Involved- to retrieve the package.

I believe the seller is responsible for delivering the package to me.  USPS is acting as an agent of the seller.  In a perfect world the seller refunds me and files a claim with USPS.  Customer service at Best Buy agreed with me and tried to refund me but couldn't because ebay handles their ebay store as a third party...  

What irritates me is I can't get any documentation of a misdelivery, USPS screwed me over and won't extend the courtesey of helping me.  Unfortunately the FOIA request on my claims could take a long time...

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

What @jen_proudwife posted is correct . . . the issue is with USPS employee as it has been forever.  If delivered, case closed.  Imagine what would happen if every buyer claimed/alleged "it says Delivered, but I don't have it?"  The buyer/recipient would lose a case each and every time.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@i-scoot wrote:
  Mailman said she could not read the number so left it at a neighbors house.

Have you asked your neighbor about the package?

Have a great day
Message 14 of 53
latest reply

Yes, the postal worker and I both have gone to the house and left notes there. This is why USPS wanted to get the Postal Inspector Involved- to retrieve the package.

Unfortunately I live in a high crime high traffic neighborhood. Packages are frequently stolen if not picked up right away. Also neighbors are shady....
Message 15 of 53
latest reply