cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Media Mail Delays

If you are a seller in a covid hot spot I would strongly recommend that you do not use USPS media mail. I am in New York and currently have 9 packages not moving that were shipped with media mail. One package that I shipped on March 31st has not been scanned since April 4th and the buyer has filed an INR case. I have launched a missing mail search but the buyer will not wait for the outcome. I sell mainly media, rare DVDs and CDs, and offered buyers a choice of media mail or first class shipping. The buyers overwhelmingly choose media mail so I have decided to eliminate that option and will now only ship first class. If this doesn't work I will be forced to shut down. The USPS has not been forthcoming with its customers concerning the massive delays with media mail that are now commonplace. I checked their alerts before shipping and found nothing to indicate the size of the problem. Sellers protect yourselves because no one else will.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

USPS Media Mail Delays

I shipped a book to a buyer just 28 miles from me on April 7, so far no movement. The buyer has been very patient, have a feeling they will eventually open a INR case if the item doesn't arrive. Just might have to switch to FCM.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

Some good information for sellers that use that mail category. Thanks

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I should also mention that in all cases the packages were taken to the post office counter and received an initial scan the same day. After that they say "in transit to the next facility" without further scans.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I can not speak for Media Mail but this past Saturday 4-11-2020 I shipped well over 40 packages via 1st class mail.  On Monday 4-13-2020 I shipped another 60 packages via FCM.  I used a scan form and received a receipt.  All the items are showing as "ACCEPTED" however nothing has moved since then.  It's now one week and I have 100 packages missing.

I called the 1-800 number and opened a case for all the missing items.  Went back to my local post office and their response was "This is now the new norm, deal with it".  So I'm shutting down my store as I have no options left.  I can't charge everyone insurance on $10-$15 items, they just will not purchase.  Between that and the INR that will be coming in mass soon, I am surely about to go out of business.

I just have no idea how to move forward at this point.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I'm not sure what you should do, but I have several media mail items that are running late.  I sent each of my book buyers messages saying " I am keeping an eye on all of my media mail packages, as there are some serious delays in some parts of the country. Your books might be late, so I just wanted to let you know! Stay well, evyr1nositswindy"

I have gotten nice responses back and most buyers are aware that these are not normal times for the USPS.  A kind word and understanding goes a long way  to keeping buyers happy.  I wish you the best!  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

If memory serves, packages sent via Media Mail travel on a space available basis.  It would therefor be logical to assume that as many flights as have been canceled owing to the COVID-19 pandemic there has been less space available thus resulting in delays.

Personally, I never use MM because of the slower transit time, but I don't deal in much that would qualify anyway.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

Yes, media mail does travel on a space available basis, but NOT via air.  They travel via ground.  If those drivers come down with the virus, there would be fewer drivers to transport all of those ground packages.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I sent a book with Media Mail to a buyer in the same city as me on April 6, it still has not moved through the local sorting center. I am going to have to put all my listings on vacation, otherwise I am sending buyers items for free since they will want a refund, but the package will eventually arrive. Too bad because I have rare free time that I was hoping to use to sell more stuff.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I ended up pulling most of my ebays listings no matter first class or media mail, both seem to have the same delays. I cant afford to give out free items and free shipping and ebay nor usps are taking any action to address this issue therefore the less listing ebay has, less money they will make. Sellers lose out in all this which is unfair. Im keeping only handful items that are able to send priority mail, hopefully that will be ok.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

Best to avoid media mail anytime.   Very slow.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

Media is running very slow. Called usps customer serv and was told that it can be anywhere from 10-14 days for media mail shipments. had a book coming from NY to Co and it has been nearly 2 weeks since shipping.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I have decided to pull all of my listings. I'm disgusted that in a crisis like this there are buyers who will not give the sellers a little more time before filing INR cases. I'd rather sell my items another day than give them away for nothing. Good luck to you all!

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

I'm a very small seller but everything I've shipped in the last 5 weeks has arrived with very few delays and only small ones of a day or so EXCEPT Media Mail.  One package I shipped has been "in transit" exiting Pittsburgh Distribution for 3 weeks and one I've ordered has been "in transit" exiting Chicago Distribution for nearly the same length of time.  My buyer has been considerate so far and I'll be the same with my order.

I opened a Service Request on my shipment and got a call back from the destination PO supervisor (Hewitt, NJ) a few hours later saying pretty much "that's the way it is" and case closed.   He also told me the staffing outages are serious... mostly not because the employees are sick but because they're home with their kids... and USPS is trying to hire back the regular Christmas temps but not getting a lot of takers.

I'd say DON'T LIST ANYTHING THAT NEEDS TO SHIP MEDIA MAIL.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

USPS Media Mail Delays

@disneyshopper wrote:

Yes, media mail does travel on a space available basis, but NOT via air.  They travel via ground.  If those drivers come down with the virus, there would be fewer drivers to transport all of those ground packages.

I was under the impression that it went by whatever method of transport was available at the time but I could be mistaken.  I do know that certain types of items must go by ground transport but I can't see where most of those items would be eligible to be sent via MM.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 35
latest reply