cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Insurance Claim Denied, Appeal Under Review

Item sold for $499.99. I insured for $400 to cover cost of item to me and take on some risk to save on postage. Item was damaged in transit despite packing like a tank. Never had an issue before after having mailed at least 100 of these. 

Anyway, initial claim was denied. I have filed an appeal. All documentation asked for has been given. Any advice? What are your experiences with USPS insurance claims?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@bluegunnerswife47wrote:
 ... The claim was denied for reason of insufficient packing..... Don't know how it will turn out but I will not get my money from the seller until the claim is settled in their ffavor....

You don't need to wait.  You didn't even need to cooperate with the insurance claim; you certainly aren't responsible for its outcome.  You are covered by eBay's buyer protection policy, which is called the "Money back guarantee":

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

There is even a risk that the seller is trying to stall you until you are beyond the 30-day limit to file your case with eBay.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

File a SNAD complaint with eBay now.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

you can file INR with Ebay in 30 days and 180 days with Paypal and credit card issuer.
You wil be asked by Ebay or Paypal to return the item,with cc issuer,you may not.
But your dealer should give you further instructions.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

USPS has been playing hardball lately,it would ask you to take the package and show it to a local USPS post office.
USPS has packing guidelines and most people do not pay attention until it is too late
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@casey768wrote:
you can file INR with Ebay in 30 days and 180 days with Paypal ....

Clarification: The claims must be filed WITHIN 30 days of package delivery for eBay and WITHIN 180 days after the transaction for Paypal.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

@myboardidwrote:

bluegunnerswife - you CAN get your money - the insurance only protects the seller, not you.  Just open an Item Not As Described case in the Resolution Center, explain the damage and ask for a refund.  The seller MUST accept your request, but can ask for a return first.  The return will void his insurance.  If he refuses, then wait the required time and then ask eBay to step in - there will be a link when the right amount of time has passed, usually just a few days.  eBay will either send you a return label or will just refund your money. 

^^^THIS^^^

@bluegunnerswife47

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

USPS is disgusting, do not claim you have an insurance service if you are not willing to pay out.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Write it off.......you are not going to get it.
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

USPS appears to be taking the position that damage that has occurred is almost always due to insufficient packing.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

USPS insurance rarely takes responsibilities for their mismanagement of packages.  When a claim is filed and documentations sent, they compensate way below the value of the item.  I wonder how they estimate the reimbursements.  This is ridiculous. USPS does not treat customers good on claims and they don't seem to warn their workers to be careful when handling people's packages.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/shipping-returns-db.

Thanks.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply