cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Dead Mail/Package sent to Recovery Center: Has anyone ever successfully recovered their item?

Hi! I bought a beautiful rug from Morocco and it made it to New York, then to the capitol of my state & then to my town's local post office were it disappeared with the "In Transit" update of USPS Dead Mail/Sent to Recovery Center! Has anyone else had this occur? Were you able to either get it out of the facility and sent to you or were you able to receive a refund from eBay? 

I HATE that this would ding the seller! It is not their fault and I didn't reject the package- the USPS didn't even attempt to deliver it to me. I've filled out every form possible but I fear that I have no recourse, an international tracking number with no insurance and that I'll be out several hundred dollars and have no rug to show for it. 

Has anyone had experience with this and how did it end up? Thanks! 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

USPS Dead Mail/Package sent to Recovery Center: Has anyone ever successfully recovered their item?

Contact the Mail Recovery Center in Atlanta and make a claim for a lost item. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I definitely did that and attached pictures and as much detail as possible. Hopefully they get it re-routed to me and don't just sell it at auction. Do you know anyone who has had success getting stuff from them? I've been trying to research all day and it doesn't seem very hopeful. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Their site claims  they'll attempt to find and deliver items of value and items having sentimental value.

I believe if you claim the insurance they'll keep it. So wait on that 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I would get my local postmaster involved, since they never attempted to deliver it.   something is wrong there. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply