cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The address is on my PayPal and eBay approved list. Buyer just paid

IMG_0015.jpeg

 Buyer just sent me a message with their name and address.  I really don’t understand what they want from me.  I had buyers who paid without asking for special requests before, but none like this.  Is this a scam??

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Probably not a scam, just a buyer who doesn't have a clue about how seller protection works.  

You'll have to explain to them that you can only ship to the address that was attached to their payment when they made it.  So they have a choice: you ship to that address, or you can cancel the transaction (based on "Buyer requested" so you don't get a defect point) so they can re-purchase and attach the preferred name and address when they re-pay.

But if they haven't paid yet, then just explain that they need to attach that name and address as part of the payment process, not as a separate message.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@briabernin_0 wrote:

Is this a scam??

I’d say it’s very possibly a scam.  Buyers have the ability to add new shipping addresses to their eBay account.  There’s no reason to ship to an address other than that and lose your seller protections.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@briabernin_0 

I can’t see that you’ve sold anything recently. That could be because eBay is tweaking what it shows me. 

First, make sure the message is from your buyer. 
Sometimes people who did not win the auction will send a message asking to change the shipping address, unbeknownst to the actual buyer. 

Second, a seller MUST ship to the address on the invoice. 
If the buyer wanted it to go to someone else, they should have changed the address BEFORE they paid. 
You will lose what tiny shreds of seller protection you have if you ship somewhere else. 

Is this an expensive item?

Is your (actual) buyer willing to cancel this transaction so you can relist, they can change the ship to address and repurchase the item?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It’s a GeForce RTX 3060 valued at 280.  The offer was 250 and I accepted it.  Got a feed, confirming that he did pay for it and then  he sent me this message.  No auctions here.  Just bought it now.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I found the item in terapeak, which confirms that the buyer did pay for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355191989771?nordt=true

You have to ship it to the address on the order details page, or the buyer will automatically win if they file an MBG case on the transaction.

Very likely, the buyer did not think to change their address before they made the offer, and did not realize they wouldn't get a chance to change it before eBay paid automatically with their default payment method and primary shipping address.

You should explain to the buyer that you have to ship it to the address that the buyer confirmed when they made their offer and payment. Copy that address back to them, and tell them that if they don't want it shipped there, then you will need to cancel the transaction, and relist it, and they can buy it again, and make sure to use the correct address. I would relist at the original price $280, and let them make an offer again.

If the buyer agrees, cancel with the reason "buyer requested" because they did agree to the cancellation and relist it.

If the buyer makes a fuss, put them on your blocked bidder list, and then cancel it "buyer requested". If they are going to be difficult, you don't need them as a buyer. Terapeak shows that 9 of those have been sold at $250 each in the last 2 days, so you shouldn't have trouble getting another buyer.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have to add that the “I bought this for my grandson” part of the story raises a yellow flag for me, and the wording they use (“PayPal and eBay approved”) makes this sound suspect as well.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

My gut tells me that another person, other than the winner, is trying to get you to ship to them.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Self deleted

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 9
latest reply