cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BUYERS Post Office is closed.

I've looked all over and all I can find is how eBay is protecting sellers in the path of Irma.

I have a package to ship.  The BUYER'S post office is closed according to the USPS site.

Obviously I won't ship it.  But, how does eBay protect ME from a late shipment ding?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

It doesn't. You shoudl ship the item on time, and let the carrier figure out how to handle the delivery dela. (if any).

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

eBay's mesage of concern about "affected sellers' was a heartwarming surprise, but every bit of it is clearly addressed to sellers in the affected locations, not to sellers shipping to buyers there.

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

postingID,

That announcement is directed to sellers located IN the affected area.   It does not address my concerns.

I am not in Florida but I have a package to ship to Florida.  What happens to me?

Should I really ship it and hope it doesn't get lost in the log jam that is about to occur ?

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Ship it.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Where is the debate?  Your job is to ship, not to figure who is open and who is doing what.  Follow your rules and do your job.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Hi @postingid2017, Which do you fear more, a late shipping ding or an item not received claim where you get to issue a full refund for an item for which there may be a substantial delay in it ever getting scanned received?  Good luck!

@Anonymous @Anonymous

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

We are in the same position. An item is to ship tomorrow and going right to someone that lives where the hurricane is the worst. So which is worst for us, a late shipment ding or dealing and a return claim?

Message 9 of 39
latest reply

I am looking at this issue from a seemingly diff angle than most others. I too have your same "problem". The way I view it is that I want to try and do the best thing for the buyer/myself as well as ebay & yes even the USPS(and yes I get it that if you sell something it 99% of the time should be shipped accordingly). However, I am tempted to use common sense here instead. My choice is between ship ASAP or wait till things get back to full speed for everyone or at least closer to it. This would likely take some "heat" off the buyers local USPS office(yep even I have some compassion for them). Last word: bottom line is sellers seem not to be protected from any/all negative dings by eBay if you choose to hold item for a bit, so until further info from ebay I will be following their procedures/temp instructions(?).

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

@tenbigdogs wrote:

Hi @postingid2017, Which do you fear more, a late shipping ding or an item not received claim where you get to issue a full refund for an item for which there may be a substantial delay in it ever getting scanned received?  Good luck!

@Anonymous @Anonymous

Hi @tenbigdogs - I think it would be an item not received claim if I did not ship the item(s) under normal circumstances is my first choice and the shipping ding for late shipping my second choice.  In both scenarios, due to the weather conditions, eBay has the logistics to see where items are being shipped to and from and not penalized any Seller because neither the Seller or Buyer has any control of the weather, therefore eBay should make exceptions for all involved.  I know I would not hold it against a Seller if they could not ship on time or in the worse case scenario if the item was damaged by the weather related circumstances.

I live in Northern New Jersey and we have had our share of hurricanes, with Sandy being the worst of them, or the dreaded blizzard, which may take a day at best for things to become fully functional again.  It may be difficult to get around for a while with a blizzard but the PO's here will open in a day.  Flooding is a whole different circumstance.   I do not live in a flood zone, but there are cities near me that will flood, shutting down major Interstates making travel a nightmare.

Trust me, I am truly sympathetic to weather conditions for Florida, and Texas.  What Harvey & Irma has done/will do to each will be devastating as it was for the people who either live(ed) at the shore or had summer rentals at the shore was tragic along the shoreline of Sandy's path 😞  I could not believe the destruction 😞 The news only focused on New York/New Jersey, but I sure that Delaware/Maryland and maybe Washington, DC was horrendous 

And eBay or any other online platform that I sell on is not a major source of income for me because I don't list like I used to, I just don't have the time anymore 😞  Even though I need the money, I just can't bring myself to list here at the moment.  Too much working in the background for me.

Sorry for the Novella, I just wanted to make sure anyone reading would not think that I don't care or is unsympathetic for those involved 🙂

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

What you should do is assume USPS has an plan.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Maybe this link will help from the USPS site: 

http://about.usps.com/news/service-alerts/resident-mail.htm

If you click on some of the links, it goes into detail as to what their plan is, hope it helps 

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Hey Posting, I understand.  That's why I at-mentioned eBay staff.  Let's see if they'll drop in tomotrow and provide clarification.  Are you in communication with your buyer?  A late shipping ding doesn't do too much damage to an othwise healthy account.  Having a shipped item not scanned received within the delivery window is potentially losing both the money and the item.  Only you can decide what you're willing to risk.  Nobody else here has any money on this table.  Good luck!

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jennieaa wrote:

I've looked all over and all I can find is how eBay is protecting sellers in the path of Irma.

I have a package to ship.  The BUYER'S post office is closed according to the USPS site.

Obviously I won't ship it.  But, how does eBay protect ME from a late shipment ding?

Hey @jennieaa, visit our announcement about protections for more details on how we are working with our sellers in these situations. As a general rule, we still recommend shipping the item so that it can be delivered as soon as the post office is back up and running. USPS will hold the item for delivery once conditions have improved and we are here to protect you regarding any delays.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply