cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious buyer returns item but is "lost" in USPS land

This issue is still ongoing, but here it is:

An eBayer (12 feedback) buys a thick, 14k men's bracelet ($274).  I send it to him, he issues a request for a return (no message to me, which is fine - I messaged him to say I would make it right, but he did not respond).  On the return request he says that it was damaged AND that it is not real 14k gold.  Two things: I over-package when I ship and actually put this thick bracelet inside bubble wrap, inside a small box, and inside a bubble mailer - a tank couldn't have damaged that.  Also, the bracelet was stamped 14k I had the gold tested.  Okay, so what, I don't really care why he's returning  it, I accept all returns for whatever reason, it was just suspicious that he said it was both damaged and not real.  So he returns something, but I don't know what that something is because it has not left his city (Denver) in 4.5 days, even though it says it has been "processed" through the Denver facility. 

My question:  As a scam, can someone manipulate a package to get lost in the mail when, in actuality, they did not return the item?  The return slip should have printed out for them automatically and eBay has the tracking info, but it just stopped before it reached another destination in its journey.  I attached a photo here of the tracking.

Thank you for your advice!

Richard

ewedsd.png

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@biggestlittlecity wrote:

My question:  As a scam, can someone manipulate a package to get lost in the mail when, in actuality, they did not return the item?  The return slip should have printed out for them automatically and eBay has the tracking info, but it just stopped before it reached another destination in its journey. 

It hasnt 'stopped' -  its last scan was at the regional sorting facility that collects mail from the buyers post office. This being the Christmas rush season - it may well be off the radar for a couple of days - but it will probably resurface in the next day or two in some facility closer to you. I would expect you to receive it sometime in the coming week - sooner rather than later.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

December 8, 2019
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

Do not refund until package arrives to you and contents are what you shipped If package contents are not you shipped contact ebay

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@biggestlittlecity wrote:

My question:  As a scam, can someone manipulate a package to get lost in the mail when, in actuality, they did not return the item?  The return slip should have printed out for them automatically and eBay has the tracking info, but it just stopped before it reached another destination in its journey. 

It hasnt 'stopped' -  its last scan was at the regional sorting facility that collects mail from the buyers post office. This being the Christmas rush season - it may well be off the radar for a couple of days - but it will probably resurface in the next day or two in some facility closer to you. I would expect you to receive it sometime in the coming week - sooner rather than later.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your quick reply. I am just a little paranoid because I am selling this for a family member and it seems like seller protections are few on eBay. Thanks again.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The short answer is no buyer can not get those scans without usps being in possession of that package.Realize to usps return service packages are low priority

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your fast reply.  I knew I was jumping the gun on asking and I should wait.  I've only been scammed once (out of hundreds of sales), so the likelihood is that it's all legit.  I wouldn't care so much except I'm selling for my uncle on his account and don't want to lose him money or mess up his feedback.  Anyway, thank you and have a great holiday season!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply