cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion

Goodnight

I apologize if this is not a topic to be posted in the community. I just wanted to make a suggestion.

The site should put in the ads, in addition to the freight, another field containing the cost of import. Depending on the currency, the cost generates an additional purchase price that the buyer did not expect because the ad does not include the import cost field. There is only the freight field.

The buyer may end up with a product that can be twice as expensive because of the hidden value of the import cost in the ad and when that occurs, the buyer may not be able to pay for the product because of this additional cost that is not found appearing in the ad. If it is a bid or offer purchase, which the buyer cannot refuse, it becomes an unfair purchase because the buyer did not know of that additional amount. The website did not inform the import cost value that is discovered only at the end of the purchase.

This can be considered a crime against the popular economy in many countries. The buyer needs to be aware of all costs involved in purchasing the product. Especially when it involves the method of bidding and offering a product, since ebay does not allow cancellation by the buyer. In many countries the buyer is entitled to repentance.

Hiding an additional value in the ad because it does not have a field for import cost because it only shows the freight cost may incur an additional cost that the buyer did not expect because the value becomes above what he can pay because he did the calculations in over the freight and the value of the product to see if you had the means to make the payment.

Therefore, it must appear in all ads, in addition to shipping and product value, the import cost as well. The buyer needs to be aware of all costs involved in that purchase.

Have a good night.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Suggestion

If buyers read the shipping policies  when they join it tells you buyers are responsible for the customs/duties/taxes/import fees.  There's no way a seller could know what hundreds of countries will charge the buyer and what's dutiable or not, and have that figure in the listing.

It's up to the buyer know what their country charges. If they're too lazy to find out then they should buy from a seller that ships through GSP where Pitney-Bowes takes care of it.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Suggestion

Goodnight

I never talked about the seller putting the value. It would be impossible. The ebay system provides the value at the time of finalizing the purchase because it knows in the register of our account the country in which the item will be sent and automatically places the value.

So why can't this value generated by the e-bay automatic system, on the checkout page, appear in the ad instead of just appearing at checkout?

After all, to buy you have to be logged in. I talk about the system putting this value on the page instead of just placing it on the checkout page.

As for the postage fee. The amount varies from country to country. How can I find out what the seller's country is in the case of GPB currency, for example. The Euro currency (GPB) is used by many countries on the European continent and rates vary from country to country.

However, as the ebay system knows the seller's country of origin and the buyer's country of origin, it provides the amount to be paid at checkout. The buyer has no way of knowing the seller's country.

So how will the buyer know what fee will be charged if he does not know the seller's country? What you said about the buyer researching what the tax amount is only for countries that have their own currency, like the dollar, for example. The dollar is used by the United States.

So, just search for the amount that will be charged to the United States. But in relation to a single currency used by several countries. How do I know which country the seller belongs to?

That's what I said. The ebay automatic system must provide this fee on the purchase page and not only at checkout.

Have a good night.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Suggestion

The buyer has no way of knowing the seller's country.

Yes you do - the same way we know you are in Brazil. Click on the sellers feedback number and it will tell you the country that the seller is registered in.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Suggestion

@lilliandomi0, I see that your profile says you are in Brazil.

As long as you are logged in when you search, eBay will show you the estimated import charges for all listings that are going to be shipped with the GSP Global Shipping Program. You will see the import charges when you place a bid, or make a purchase on a Buy It Now listing. 

eBay already does that automatically for listings that are shipped with GSP. If it isn't GSP, then eBay has no way to provide an estimate.

For non-GSP items, the buyer is legally the importer, and is responsible for all import charges. You are also expected to know or find out what the import charges are if you need to know them. It's your responsibility as the importer on record, legally.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Suggestion

In additional to seeing the country the seller is registered in, the listing also has ITEM LOCATION, which is where the item is suppose to ship from, but we know that some sellers misrepresent the country the item is shipping from.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Suggestion

Each country has unique rules regarding import taxes/duty. In order to give that information, ebay would first have to input the information for every country and for every item possible that could be sold. It really would be an impossible task to enter all of that information and to keep updating it.   

Message 7 of 7
latest reply