cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping decisions "To ship or not to ship UPS"

We sell antique glassware and recently started shipping in 2" thick foam boxes.  Since we started using such boxes we've had ZERO damage to glassware.  However,  UPS damaged us by penalizing us 3 times the shipping cost  in a shipping adjustment because we didn't know about their corrugated box rule.  That's fine, it's their rule and we didn't know it.. Bad on Us!    I guess my question is... can we refuse to ship UPS or FedEx no matter what the customer wants?   USPS has no problem with our boxes and since there are no damage claims they like it even more.    I know I know someone is going to say so put your foam box inside corrugated box to ship, but that is cost prohibitive.   And I don't care to buy twice the box inventory when the foam box out performs anything else we've ever used.   So, can we state we ONLY ship USPS and expect that to work or is their some other rule I'm missing ????  thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Maybe other sellers can answer if you need to opt-out of EIS as well. I don't know.

I only offerUSPS and prefer to walk my items in person to a post office and hoping for no surprises on shipping.

But I opted- out of EIS just in case.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

As you discovered, UPS slaps on surcharges for nonstandard packaging. You'd have to put the foam cube inside of a cardboard box to avoid that surcharge.

As long as your listing isn't advertising/offering UPS/FedEx then of course you can refuse to ship with those services.

In fact, all of your recent sales offered USPS Priority exclusively so that's the service you should have used unless you privately agreed to use UPS at the buyer's request.

Nice to have this surcharge mystery solved:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Ebay-offers-of-UPS-shipping-TOTAL-SCAM/td-p/34106660

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Maybe other sellers can answer if you need to opt-out of EIS as well. I don't know.

I only offerUSPS and prefer to walk my items in person to a post office and hoping for no surprises on shipping.

But I opted- out of EIS just in case.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply