cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping costs are incorrectly calculated - what am I doing wrong?

Recently, I've had some packages where the shipping was way off in favor of the buyer. The first time, I assumed I put in the numbers wrong and ignored it. But it's now happened several other times. Most recently today.

I checked the package dimensions I entered and the weight - all were correct. It was also set for ground advantage, also correct. But a package that should have charged $12 for shipping only charged $6. As soon as I saw the $6, I knew it was wrong - I can't ship a package next door for that. So I got stuck eating the $6 shipping cost. I had another that was a mailer that was off by $1 - and I had inflated the weight a bit to be on the safe side.

Beyond the package dimensions and weight (and I'll add the first one was not a large package - 12x12x4 and only a bit over 4 lbs), is there some other settings I should be looking at? What am I doing wrong? I've never had this issue before.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Shipping costs are incorrectly calculated - what am I doing wrong?

Looking at your current listings, the two Battle Lore items, they both appear to be the same size but there is a big difference in price for shipping to me. One is $11.69 ground advantage, and the other is $6.33 same service. If both are the same size, there must be some difference in what info between the 2 that is not the same when you put the figures in for calculated shipping. 

You might check by going to USPS.com, entering the info and see what comes up there. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

if you used any of the 'helpful' create a listing tools

(sell similar or sell one like this) for your template

check and make sure "irregular package" is not ticked 'ON' or that worthless autofill

don't know for sure if it makes a difference, but......

!ebay-shipping options.jpg

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay recently introduced "Cubic" pricing for packages up to 1 cubic foot via Ground Advantage and up to .5 cu ft for Priority Mail.  So package dimensions can significantly affect the postage cost in ways that they never used to, but the savings can be excellent.  

Your 12x12x4 package ships at the rate for just .4 cu ft; the eBay rate for shipping that package to Zone 4 is $6.66 for any weight up to 20 pounds.

http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

OK- yes this is what I ran into. The shipping it charged was $6.66 but the REAL charge was $12 something. Is there a way to turn that off? And why is it giving me a rate that is half the PO rate? Is that if I buy the label from ebay? 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eBay defaulted your setting to charge the online discounted eBay rate @buckeye-2000 . It's going to cost significantly more if you're purchasing postage at the post office.

Go to this page and turn off the carrier discounts to buyers setting:

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

------

To @monica-sells , checking off 'irregular package' has zero effect on anything. It would be nice if it was more than a checkbox and accounted for price differences of tubes, etc.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes, that's it. Someone contacted me directly about it. I've now gone in and turned it off. Why that defaults to "on" is beyond me.

Thanks everyone for your help! 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply