cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Overcharges - Possible Solution

I stopped selling on eBay for 2 years and just started up again this month.  I noticed with small packages (under 1 pound, many 5 oz. in a bubble wrap envelope) that when I used the eBay calculator, I never got the same results as when I compared to the USPS website.  On eBay, I could never enter 5 oz. - it ALWAYS came up 15.9 oz. (it didn't do this 2 years ago).  Yesterday, I just received 2 refunds on overcharges.  Very frustrating, although I'm grateful to get the refunds.  This morning, I had to print another label for a 5 oz. bubble-wrap envelope.  When you hit the "Purchase a Label" (or whatever it's called), you'll notice the package weight (again, it came up 15.9 oz.).  There's a link there that says something like "Package - Edit".  I was able to change the 15.9 oz. to 5 oz. and was charged what looked like the proper amount.  Hope this helps some sellers out there.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sorry, just need to confirm what you are saying.     Are you saying that you are entering the weight on the listing form but that it is not being carried over properly to the label?

I checked a few of your listings and they are using a flat rate which means you are charging one price to buyers regardless of where they live in the US.  That means you are entering a specific dollar amount in the shipping field. That's fine if you want to do charge a flat rate but then you have to enter the correct weight to pay the correct shipping cost.

If you want to use calculated shipping,you have to choose it on the listing form and enter the weight and dimensions so that the calculator charges the cost to the buyers location. That information carries over to the label. I don't know if it carries over with flat rate

I am guessing that the  label defaults to 15.9 oz if you don't have dimensions entered because that is the maximum weight of the first class which is what your listings say you will be using.  I doubt that you will be able to ship those shoes as first class though.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You wrote exactly what I was about to suggest. I use calculated shipping on all of my orders and that's exactly what comes up when I go to purchase my label. If I listed the item at 5 oz, that's exactly what comes up when I go to purchase my label. It is defaulting because the OP is using a flat fee in the listing and the system needs to know what the exact weight is. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I third y'all. I use a flat fee for First Class, but enter weights in my listings. Note: I round up to 4, 8, 12 or 15.9 oz. while I list.
No problems!

Message 4 of 4
latest reply