cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers BEWARE of Shipping to a Freight Forwarding Service!

Posted a listing for a valuable electronic device.  The winning bidder's "ship to" name and address appeared suspicious. In my listing it clearly stated "shipping to Continental USA only." I google mapped the address and discovered it was a warehouse in a Los Angeles area business park. This business is a legitimate operation, but it can be used by individuals who open an account there using stolen identities. There were numerous postings in the feed by ebay sellers Warning others NOT to ship items to this address. The packages in question were reported back to ebay but the clandestine buyers as "Not Received" – which if you don't already know, opens a big can of worms for sellers. PROBLEM: the address is not verified as a viable individual destination. You cannot get any signature, or return proof of reciept at the destination. • Here's a made up example of how this freight forwarder can be used by criminals: A stolen identity is used to open an account, similar to a post office box. The owner of this account pays for, and directs a "forwarding service provider" to re-send items recieved in their box out to anywhere in the world. There's no accountability, there's no dogs sniffing around, no x-ray machines or metal scanners– just an "IN BOX" and an "OUT BOX." The point is: EVEN IF AN ITEM IS INSTANTLY PAID FOR– BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THE SHIPPING ADDRESS IS A VERIFIED INDIVIDUAL ADDRESS. Also note: do not asume, regardless of "history," that ebay is immune to having bogus (established with stolen identity)  buyers/sellers accounts. It's a cryin' shame that we live in a world where "the wolf is always at the door." Just be vigilant. <

Spoiler

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Quick, grab a foil hat
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Spoiler alert, more like paranoia. If you want signature confirmation, you pay for it. Of course anyone can open an account and have the packages shipped worldwide; here's a spoiler for you....that's what they do, that's the business. Yes, most of these forwarders will not accept signature required or COD orders, what's the big deal. You got paid through Paypal. If the the seller files an INR you got tracking confirmation of delivery. If the buyer files a SNAD, you're only responsible for the US return shipping, not where it ends up. Sounds like you had a bad experience with something and now the world's going to end. FF's are the key to International sellers, safer and much cheaper than your GSP fiasco.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I ship to freight forwarders all the time.     The one in LA has been around for a very long time.    All you have to do is ship and get signature confirmation.       What happens after that is on the freight forwarder.

The freight forwarders ship hundreds of packages a week.      There are some scams,  but just like Ebay,  very few.     They just get all the noise.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

“This business is a legitimate operation, but it can be used by individuals who open an account there using stolen identities.”

It could also be called a “Post Office”, or “Mailboxes Etc” or certain UPS locations. Many people open mailboxes at these kinds of locations using fake IDs if the employees aren’t vigilant. You just happened to get a warehouse. No need for panic.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You may be overthinking this one.  As a seller you are responsible to get the package to the address stated on the payment PERIOD.  Whatever they do with the package after it is received is NOT a seller's responsibility.  And just as it is stated in the Money Back Guarantee, if a package arrives at the destination called for on the payment and then is reshipped to ANY other address, the MBG is void.  Your responsibility is done.

Yes, other sellers have warned other sellers not to ship to reshippers.  Mostly because they don't understand the MBG rule and some feel they should have some control over what a buyer does with the product they purchase from them, which is silly.  A lack of understanding of the rules is usually what fuels the paranoia about this subject.

Ebay sellers are NOT required to ship to "verified" addresses.  PP changed that rule many years ago.

If you are shipping something with a purchase value of less than $750 you are not required to have signature verification of delivery.  Your online tracking and delivery verification is all you need on item of a lesser value than $750.

It is not your job to judge if the buyer is doing anything within the laws of their country or ours.  Your job is to ship the product they purchased from you to the address in the US they specify, period.  You can't act as Law Enforcement and REQUIRE that your buyers clear with you what they are going to do with the item after they receive it.  They do not have to seek or get your approval.  

Again, I just think you are over thinking this.  You are just fine to ship to a reshipper.  I do it all the time and have for years.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks a lot for the tips. This will be very useful to us. When it comes to international freight forwarding and transportation, selecting the right freight forwarder is like choosing the right supplier. I used to ship goods internationally and I've been a proud costumer of Parcelbound really trust their services.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks a lot for the tips. This will be very useful to us. When it comes to international freight forwarding and transportation, selecting the right freight forwarder is like choosing the right supplier. I used to ship goods internationally and I've been a proud costumer of Parcelbound really trust their services. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Last I check LA was in the Continental US.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@gacol_1910 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the tips. This will be very useful to us. When it comes to international freight forwarding and transportation, selecting the right freight forwarder is like choosing the right supplier. 

Um, on eBay, the buyer selects the freight forwarder (if that's how they want to receive their packages), not the seller. That is, assuming that you're the seller (here in the U.S.) and your buyer is somewhere else, it would be up to the buyer to select that freight forwarder you named, and provide you with the forwarder's address at payment time. That's convenient for you, because you would only need domestic shipping costs and proof of delivery to the reshipper, and your delivery obligation is done.

In other words, you as the seller have to show on-line tracking that proves delivery to the buyer's Ship To address that comes in with the payment. If the buyer picked that forwarding company as their address, you need only ship there. However, if the buyer picked their own address in Outer Franistan someplace as the Ship To location, then that's where your shipment tracking needs to lead to, as a Delivered status at that location will be needed to guard against an Item Not Received dispute and a possible forced refund.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@gacol_1910 wrote:

Maybe so, I have never had to do that, so I don't have any experience with that, but it sounds logical.  As a seller, it isn't something we need to be concerned with as that is for the buyer to decide, not us.  Good thing too as I have plenty to decide.  LOL

I'm very glad I could give you some useful information.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 11
latest reply