cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent wrong item, wants me to send to another buyer - scam?

Hey guys, I’d really appreciate any input on this issue that I’ve never encountered before. I won an auction for an iPhone X last week. The seller shipped the next day, then almost immediately contacted me to tell me that he likely shipped the wrong item - an iPhone 8 Plus - to me, and asked if I could just forward it to the actual buyer. He sent me a label with someone’s address on it. He also said he would immediately ship the right phone to me once he sees that I dropped off the other phone at USPS. He seemed very apologetic, and left me his cell phone so I could text him with questions.

Does this seem like a scam to you guys? I feel like I wouldn’t be covered by any of eBay’s policies in case he doesn’t ship the correct item, and it would show on his end that a package was delivered to me. I don’t know what to do. Have any of you ever dealt with this? Thanks for your help! I’m not that experienced on eBay. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Don’t agree to this.  It is not your responsibility to send the item to the other buyer.  The seller needs to send you a return label for the item so you can send it back to him. If he doesn’t do this, then you do nothing.  In the meantime, go to the Resolution Center and open a case for item not as described because you received the wrong phone. Do not agree to a replacement, as that never works out. Seller must send you a return label so you can return the incorrect item for a full refund.  Then, if it was me, I would find another seller to purchase the phone from.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, this helps a lot. I really had a weird feeling about this, now I know what to do.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Do not open a case until you receive the wrong item.

I can’t tell you that this is a scam, I can’t tell you that it is not either.

You are absolutely in a grey area here. Shipping an item for the seller to someone else could leave you vulnerable to loosing your MBG. 

I would not contact seller nor would I buy anything more from them.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I see it differently.  

You received the wrong item. You're returning it for a replacement, the correct item.  

The seller provided the return label.  

Stick it on the package and put it in the mail.   I don't think it matters that it's not the seller's actual address.  When tracking shows DELIVERED the seller is required to send the replacement.   If it's not received you can ask eBay for help.  If tracking shows you returned it to the address the seller provided eBay will force the refund if the seller doesn't have tracking showing you received the replacement.  

And it is true he doesn't have to refund or send the right item until you return the wrong one.  Even if it was the seller's mistake you have to return it before you get a replacement or a refund.   Shouldn't matter where it's returned as long as it's returned to the address the seller provided.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

As a seller, in a case like this, I would intercept the package, have it sent back to me and ship your item to you.

No need to have a buyer jump through hoops.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I agree 100%

But maybe they tried and was told Package Intercept is not guaranteed and since the method of delivery was PM it could be a 2nd day delivery, which means it probably wouldn't be intercepted in time. So the Intercept fee and postage for the redirect you pay up front would be lost. I dunno. I think that train left the station, lol.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Seller made an honest mistake and that is the fastest and easiest way to correct it.  You don’t have to, but why not assume you are helping instead of being scammed?  I made that mistake a couple times through the years and thankfully someone helped me fix it.  I sent the helpful persons some free stuff they collected as thanks.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

In my selling history, I have done this a couple of times.  I accidentally switched the shipping labels for 2 items.  What I did was send a return shipping label to each buyer.  When the items were returned, I shipped out the correct items to each buyer.

There was one instance when I did not do this.  I accidentally switched shipping labels for two heavy collectible items.  Both were sent to buyers located in Florida.  Since paying for return shipping back to me in California, would have cost an arm and a leg, I explained this to both buyers and asked if they were amicable to shipping the item to the other buyer, and I would reimburse shipping costs.  Since the buyers didn't live too far apart from each other, both agreed, and everyone was happy.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If it was a $25-$30 item, I'd be more agreeable to the seller's request, but far less inclined to play ball with a $400+ item.

And why should you have to wait for your phone you paid for and jump through hoops (albeit a small one) to get it?

I do understand the seller's position a bit though.  He doesn't want to send you another package until the first issue is resolved (there's always the risk that you may not send the mistaken phone to the right person and he'd lose that money). 

The product should go back to the seller (and he should send it to the correct party). 

- Suzanne -
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@angelono wrote:

Seller made an honest mistake and that is the fastest and easiest way to correct it.  You don’t have to, but why not assume you are helping instead of being scammed?  I made that mistake a couple times through the years and thankfully someone helped me fix it.  I sent the helpful persons some free stuff they collected as thanks.

I agree with this, sometimes simply sellers ship the wrong item (I've done it); however, I don't make the buyer jump through hoops. Just notify the seller that you will mark the package return to sender and will look for your correct item to be shipped.  The seller can void the label they sent you on their end so they're not out the label fee.  Yes, it may take a bit for the item to finally make it's way back to the seller, but in point of fact, these items usually return fairly quickly.  If it was a shirt or something I'd probably just send it on, but electronics, just be on the safe side.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 11
latest reply