cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller is returning "because they found it cheaper" (elsewhere).

"No returns accepted" item hasn't even been delivered yet and buyer is asking for a return because "they found it cheaper".    I accepted the return because the buyer was new and in my 20+ years on eBay this is my first return!  I know, lucky me.  grinning 

The item was "free shipping."  Can I deduct my shipping fees from my refund even though it doesn't say so in my listing?  I am assuming "found it cheaper" is considered a "buyers remorse" return. 

I probably won't do that but wondering if it is OK.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you have a no return policy, you are not required to accept the return or refund the buyer for a remorse return.  If you have a return policy that is set up for the buyer to pay the return shipping, you will be required to refund the full amount but the buyer has to ship it back on their dime.

Return policies are only for remorse returns.  Bot as described returns are not subject to your return policy.  However, "found it cheaper" would be a remorse return.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Free shipping means free shipping for return purposes.  Even though shipping was rolled into your selling price, it's all considered the item price.

- Suzanne -
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Since you don't offer returns you will have to refund the full amount. If you offered returns + buyer pay return shipping then the buyer would have to pay to ship it back. There is no way I am aware of to recoup initial shipping costs in general. I would probably report the buyer since this has a negative impact on your sale and is costing you money.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If you have a no return policy, you are not required to accept the return or refund the buyer for a remorse return.  If you have a return policy that is set up for the buyer to pay the return shipping, you will be required to refund the full amount but the buyer has to ship it back on their dime.

Return policies are only for remorse returns.  Bot as described returns are not subject to your return policy.  However, "found it cheaper" would be a remorse return.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

You could try this. Ask the buyer for a link to the lowers price. Then once you confirm the price issue the buyer a partial refund through paypal for the difference in your price verses the lower price.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Not that I would accept that as a return reason but as you are being nice perhaps the buyer would work with you. a few dollars back and not having to place a new order and wait for it to be delivered might be more acceptable to the buyer.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

You could try this. Ask the buyer for a link to the lowers price. Then once you confirm the price issue the buyer a partial refund through paypal for the difference in your price verses the lower price.

@7606dennis wrote:

Well, the issue is different so that idea won't work.  The buyer found the item cheaper in a 3-PACK (which is the only way it is sold in stores) and I am selling 1 piece.   Basically he is getting a discount for 3 rather than buying my ONE which really isn't a fair "found it cheaper" comparison. It's like $50 each 3 for $130.  So he realized it's cheaper to buy 3.  This was his first eBay purchase and I really don't want to risk my first neg after 20+ years. 

I'll just give him his refund and average it out over 20+ years.  I was just curious if I could hold back what it cost me to ship.  🙂

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

For buyers remorse returns you can  withhold the original shipping on a return only IF you charged for shipping.  You can’t hold the cost back if the shipping was ‘free’.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I am getting jammed up now for a remorse return even with the no return policy. Ebay has ruled in the buyers favor.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@retiredinfl wrote:

@3eyedfishcatcher wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Well, the issue is different so that idea won't work.  The buyer found the item cheaper in a 3-PACK (which is the only way it is sold in stores) and I am selling 1 piece.   Basically he is getting a discount for 3 rather than buying my ONE which really isn't a fair "found it cheaper" comparison. It's like $50 each 3 for $130.  So he realized it's cheaper to buy 3.  This was his first eBay purchase and I really don't want to risk my first neg after 20+ years. 

I'll just give him his refund and average it out over 20+ years.  I was just curious if I could hold back what it cost me to ship.  🙂

Personally, I would not accept the return if it was me.  His failure to do his due diligence and exercise comparison shopping skills prior to committing to buying the item from you is on him.  However, in order to recover your original shipping, you would have to have not used free shipping. 

Alas!  There are too many buyers that believe eBay's somewhat lax return & refund policies take the place of smart shopping habits on their part.  Don't forget to put him on your BBL.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@garrettg1 wrote:

I am getting jammed up now for a remorse return even with the no return policy. Ebay has ruled in the buyers favor.

What do you mean by "jammed up?"  If you  had your policy set up for NO RETURNS and the buyer opened a return request using a remorse reason, eBay should have closed the case in their favor.  What was the reason used by the buyer when filing the return request?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You cannot hold back shipping. If you want to do a partial refund, 'deny' the refund and go to paypal and perform a partial. If buyer is returning it and you've decided to approve, you will have to refund 100% unless you are TRS and there is damage to the product (which you can deduct up to 50%)- but use this wisely. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@garrettg1 wrote:

What do you mean by "jammed up?"  If you  had your policy set up for NO RETURNS and the buyer opened a return request using a remorse reason, eBay should have closed the case in their favor.  What was the reason used by the buyer when filing the return request?

Most likely the 'new' buyer filed a SNAD and put in 'found it cheaper' in the comments - which means nothing if they filed SNAD.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply