cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Says Never Received Item but Tracking says It Was Delivered:

Tracking says item was delivered a week ago.  Buyer says he did not get it.  Buyer is apparently in the army, uses an army rank.  But the address is a PO box.  Could the PO have put it in the wrong PO box?   

It is a small item.  I guess such mistakes are made.

This has not happened to me before (I mainly sell here on ebay).  

The tracking number is all online, I did not enter it so I do not see how it could be a mistake.

I've heard ebay accepts a tracking number record  as proof of what happened, that the seller did his part. 
I hope so.  I am distressed to hear this but do not think I should lose money on this, if the item does not turn up.  It is a small attractive item that perhaps a dishonest person might keep if it wrongly showed up in his PO box. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Seller Says Never Received Item but Tracking says It Was Delivered:

Since tracking shows item delivered to buyer, your job is done, and you do not owe the buyer anything further.  If it was mis-delivered, that is not your problem.  It is now up to the buyer to try and find out what happened to the item.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

As long as you have the delivered notice then your part is completed. You can advise your buyer to check with their local Post Office and mail carrier to see if they can assist the buyer with locating the package, in case it is sitting in another PO Box. Also advise your buyer to check with anyone around who could have access and picked up their package. Also refer your buyer to read the rules and regulations on eBay regarding shipping. That's about all you can do at this point. 

Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

As long as  the USPS  tracking  shows being delivered your job is done.  You may want to suggest to the buyer to check with their local PO to determine if it was delivered to the correct PO box.

Secondly, not all personnel that are in the military are up front, totally honest, law  obeying  citizens.  Some like to get "free stuff" too.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@mstcwrld7 wrote:

Tracking says item was delivered a week ago.  Buyer says he did not get it.  Buyer is apparently in the army, uses an army rank.  But the address is a PO box.  Could the PO have put it in the wrong PO box?   

It is a small item.  I guess such mistakes are made.

This has not happened to me before (I mainly sell here on ebay).  

The tracking number is all online, I did not enter it so I do not see how it could be a mistake.

I've heard ebay accepts a tracking number record  as proof of what happened, that the seller did his part. 
I hope so.  I am distressed to hear this but do not think I should lose money on this, if the item does not turn up.  It is a small attractive item that perhaps a dishonest person might keep if it wrongly showed up in his PO box. 

You purchased delivery confirmation to avoid a situation exactly like this one.

You shouldn't let this simple problem, that is not really a problem, distress you.   

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes, thanks to all of you who posted here.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That is not true, sorry.

Just had a case open and closed in a flash in a buyers favor just because he called and kicked up a fuss.

we proved full tracking of parcel delivered to address plus the pod information and an image of the item delivered to his property. he stated he needed the item by the 19th as he was going on holiday, it was delivered on the 18th and he then said he never received it as he was on holiday, he stated he no longer wanted the item and wanted a refund in which case we said refuse delivery and when tracking shows customer refused delivery we would refund him, then when the parcel arrived and he did not refuse on that date we said we would even pay for the return that is when he said i have not received it, what is the point of providing tracking when ebay does what they want to avoid hassle on the phone from a fraudulent buyer. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@threshold-king it may work differently with UK post.  Also since you suggested to refuse packaging that may have skewed things. Whenever I get an INR case opened I call Ebay immediately and have it closed without issue. Then contact the the buyer and see if I can help them out, without being a sucker. But always close the case first

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

This problem can be avoided completely. ONLY ship priority mail. insurance will cover up to $100. if item sells for more get extra insurance for the added price {$2.90}. Post office will get to the bottom of missing item. you get refunded and can refund your buyer. good luck
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I didn't receive an item and Fed Ex was the delivery agent.  They said it was delivered to my door, but it was not.  Now I am without the item I liked to also losing money on the whole thing. Any suggestions, I am a new ebayer and reported this situation to the seller, and now it looks like its a derogatory on both of us? I didn't mean for that to happen either. Just wanted help.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@happysweetheart wrote:

I didn't receive an item and Fed Ex was the delivery agent.  They said it was delivered to my door, but it was not.  Now I am without the item I liked to also losing money on the whole thing. Any suggestions, I am a new ebayer and reported this situation to the seller, and now it looks like its a derogatory on both of us? I didn't mean for that to happen either. Just wanted help.

As a seller, it's always a dilemma when a buyer doesn't receive a package even though tracking says delivered. I know what it's like personally when it happens, but I just can not always be the one to assume the loss when its stolen off a porch, or worse, when an unscrupulous buyer claims that in order to receive a free item. Which unfortunately more often seems to be the case. 

If this is this first time this has happened I suggest you call Ebay... search the 'Help & Contact' link (should be in the top left of your screen from the Ebay homepage) for "Money back gaurantee". Scroll to the bottom and click "call us". Explain the situation and they will usually refund you, as long as you are not a serial abuser. 

On behalf of all sellers I'm sure nobody would disagree that I convey that none of us want to see you get burned on a transaction, and we hope for a good resolution. Please also understand from our point of view. I hope this is helpful for you, and that you continue to shop here

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Last Christmas season, I received two different packages on two different days that were not ordered by me (the street name was correct, but not the customers' names nor the house numbers - one package was for the people across the street from me and the other, several houses away on the same block). Anyway, I trotted the packages over to the correct recipients. BOTH were Fed Ex deliveries. I called Fed Ex about the mistake on one of the packages, and the chucklehead on the line kept saying that the package "was delivered." I could not make him understand that YES, it was delivered, but delivered to the wrong address.  Urggh...

Had I not hand-delivered those mis-delivered packages, those buyers would be in the same situation of saying quite accurately that they had not received their package, but Fed Ex insisting that it was delivered. I have no idea how often this kind of delivery snafu occurs across the nation on a daily basis with Fed Ex and other delivery services. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

You can appeal the ebay decision through ebay, so you can get your money back.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Often. This is just one example.

I am the only house on a dead end road. FedEx showed my package as delivered on a Friday. I called FedEx and they said it was delivered to my address. On Wednesday of the next week my neighbor came to check on his cows in his pasture. My package was behind his gate, there is no house on his place. 

About a  week later I was outside when the FedEx driver delivered another package. I ask him if he put a package behind a gate about a week ago. He admitted that he did because it was after dark and he did not see my house number on my mail box, the only one on the road. The tracking number showed delivery at 5:30 PM, still daylight.

With UPS I have never had any problems. Now, if a seller only uses FedEx I will look elsewhere for my purchase.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I had a customer tell me she never received multiple orders that I shipped together. I had forgotten to upload the tracking number, but immediately after getting her message, I uploaded it. Turned out the package had been delivered two weeks prior. Once I let the buyer know, she immediately went “looking” for it. Of course she suddenly found it, but I think it was a case of her trying to get something for nothing 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply