cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Shipping Label Error

Wondering if there has been a "definitive" answer to this as I'm having an issue with the return shipping label and despite a lot of similar posts about this there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Item not as described and return accepted. Ebay sent me a message the shipping label is ready but I get an error when I try to access the label. I have until the 28th to return the item or the return will be "closed" (this is what the page to acces the label says).

I've tried logging out and back in, different browser clearing cookies etc. and nothing is working. I called eBay and they asked me to wait 24 hours and try again, which I've done, and still nothing... 

Any idea how to resolve this?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Return Shipping Label Error

Keep calling, don't let CS put your off when there's a deadline.

@Anonymous  

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to eBay over the phone again today and turns out they opened a case. They said they would be following up on this for me and asking the seller to send me the label. I wonder if this changes the deadline date?

I will come back to update  this thread once I have more info. and this may hopefully help others in the future.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@lalasclosetpr wrote:

Wondering if there has been a "definitive" answer to this as I'm having an issue with the return shipping label and despite a lot of similar posts about this there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Item not as described and return accepted. Ebay sent me a message the shipping label is ready but I get an error when I try to access the label.

This is the definitive clue --

does the button say: See label

https://image.ibb.co/bFcRL8/image.jpgor does the button say: Print return label

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Since eBay opened a case I can't access that page anymore, but I believe it said 'Print'.  Then an error message pops up at the top of the screen.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@lalasclosetpr wrote:

I spoke to eBay over the phone again today and turns out they opened a case. They said they would be

asking the seller to send me the label.

I will come back to update  this thread once I have more info.

Your seller might have uploaded a fake label both you and eBay couldn't access --

explains why eBay opened a case to challenge the seller to provide a label.

If instead it was an eBay-issued label that you couldn't access --

eBay would have simply emailed that label to you.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

This is so disappointing and it's feeling more and more like a scam. :

Seller now telling me to go to the post office and ship it myself and that they will then pay me back for it. Is this common practice? eBay CS told me the seller should provide the label via eBay messages.

Feeling red flags going up hardcore!
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@lalasclosetpr wrote:
This is so disappointing and it's feeling more and more like a scam. :

Seller now telling me to go to the post office and ship it myself and that they will then pay me back for it. Is this common practice? eBay CS told me the seller should provide the label via eBay messages.

Feeling red flags going up hardcore!

BY any chance, is this an international return? You have to return it to another country?

If so, then neither the seller  nor eBay will be able to provide a return shipping label. But, the seller is still required to pay for the return shipping up-front, not after you have returned it.

Don't just ship it back at your own expense, because eBay will not be able to force the seller to refund the return shipping costs. If neither the seller nor eBay are able to give you a return shipping label, then the seller is supposed to send you the money for return shipping to your PayPal account. You would need to find out how much it would cost and let the seller know, so he can send it.

If the seller doesn't work with you to determine the cost of return shipping, and send it to you, then you should be able to ask eBay to step in once the time allowed for the seller to provide the label (usually 5 business days) has passed.

If the seller doesn't provide a label or the cost of shipping, and if eBay can't provide a label either, then they usually refund without requiring you to return the item.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for the info @lacemaker3

This is not international, we're both in the U.S.

I paid the shipping to me and will be returning the item in the exact same packaging so the cost is the same. Seller says they already created and sent a label through ebay. eBay CS has been very helpful so far, they said they can't access the label either so they will be asking for the seller to provide it.

I'm just going to follow your advice and ask ebay CS to step in after the 5 days and provide the label.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Yes, in this situation, you have to let eBay CS take their time to help you. They have to let the seller's time pass before they can intervene.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lalasclosetpr wrote:

Thank you for the info @lacemaker3

This is not international, we're both in the U.S.

I paid the shipping to me and will be returning the item in the exact same packaging so the cost is the same. Seller says they already created and sent a label through ebay. eBay CS has been very helpful so far, they said they can't access the label either so they will be asking for the seller to provide it.

I'm just going to follow your advice and ask ebay CS to step in after the 5 days and provide the label.

Thanks.

Hi @lalasclosetpr, looks like a return label was provided to you yesterday. Could you check to see if you are able to access this label and provide me with an update? If there are still issues, I can help get this reviewed for additional help! Be sure to @mention me in your response to this thread so I receive a notification and can help as soon as possible!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous

Hi! Yes, I received a shipping label directly from ebay last night and I just dropped it off at the post office this morning. Ebay CS has been super helpful with this and I appreciate them stepping in. Thank you for checking in! 

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lalasclosetpr wrote:

@Anonymous

Hi! Yes, I received a shipping label directly from ebay last night and I just dropped it off at the post office this morning. Ebay CS has been super helpful with this and I appreciate them stepping in. Thank you for checking in! 

No problem, @lalasclosetpr! Happy to hear that things are moving along slight_smile

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@Anonymous

Update: The item was shipped and tracking was updated yesterday. A delivery attempt was made, but no one was there to receive it. 

Tracking says "Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)"

How will this affect my return?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Sounds like your seller is still attempting to avoid a return --

first a fake label perhaps, and now this.

But eBay considers attempted delivery is "Delivered" --

you just have to call, since you won't get a button to Ask eBay to step in it.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply