cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund Request: Buyer Lieing Or Missusing Return Reasons

What can I do about buyers selecting the wrong return reasons, whether purposeful or not?

In the current case, I want to let this person return something, but they clicked the "defective" option, even though in their case it just doesn't work with stuff they have (and wasn't advertised to work with). I only have the options to let him return it and I pay for the shipping. I want him to pay for the shipping. Of course the buyer is also being vague and wont answer exactly what incompatible other items he trying to use the item with.

I'm selling items that I do not want to accept returns on. I have people buying them, claiming they are defective... when in reality they buy it, try it, and realize that it doesn't work with their particular stuff as well as they thought and now want to return it.  I'm not amazon and cannot afford to pay people to try stuff and ship it back on my dime. Let alone the fact I cannot sell the items as new anymore.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is nothing you can do about buyers choosing the "wrong" reason for the return.  

The MBG will always override your no returns policy.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

i agree this has happened to me too.  They do it on purpose so we have to pay for the shipping back 😞  abuse of ebay but it is allowed as i have called to find out about this myself and nothing we can do.  Buyers have more rights on this site than sellers and no proof is needed from buyers for this either. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@infinite_grim wrote:

What can I do about buyers selecting the wrong return reasons, whether purposeful or not?

There is nothing you can do other than report the buyer for abusing the Money Back Guarantee (there is a "Report" link on the orders page).

@infinite_grim wrote:

I'm selling items that I do not want to accept returns on.

You do not have to accept the return, but you have to refund the buyer.   On eBay, there is no such thing as "No returns, all sales final."  ... the real policy is "No returns unless the buyer is unhappy with the purchase."

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As noted by other sellers, there is nothing you can do unless you want to fight the return. You can dispute, but...you will risk the buyer getting a full refund and not getting the item back.

You can report the buyer as noted, as you should, for abusing the returns.

As a seller, I have dealt with this not for the last 8 months. Every SNAD I have is a buyer blaming me for their return in order to get a 100% refund and free return shipping. One of the reasons I increased all of my prices.

Finally, if you cannot afford to accept returns, make sure you take 12 photographs showing every detail of the item for sale. Make sure you provide a detailed description to include listing all of the imperfection of the item to include what the item is used for if it has a specific application.

Otherwise, you are best served not to list items on eBay that you cannot afford to take returns on. I understand money can be tight for some sellers and a 15.00 loss can mean no gas money for the week 😞

Good luck!

Cheers
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Ebay has turned into a license to steal. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply