cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving Money to Reship an Item to New Address

Buyer moved, didn’t update address.  Package got returned.  Buyer wants to pay for returned package fees and to reship.  I sent him my email address. He sent me his.  I know I can request a payment from him through PayPal, but is this the correct way to do this?  Don’t want to be flagged for a transaction completed out of eBay, since we exchanged email addresses via eBay msg system. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

YES.  Go to your PP account and send then an invoice for reshipping the item.  It should be exactly what you charged them for the original shipment plus 30 cents to cover your transaction fee with PP.  There is no reason for you to be out the fees.

Then have your buyer pay from that invoice.

When you create the new label for shipment, do it in PP from the new payment you received.  Do NOT do it in Ebay.  That will overrided  your original tracking number and then you will be dinged with a late shipment plus you lose the tracking details on the Ebay record.  Creating it in PP from the new payment allows you to have both shipping records available if you were to ever need them.

I've done this many times over the years.  Good luck.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks!  I had a similar situation happen before, but we didn’t have to exchange email addresses and I never ended up completing the reship.  In that situation, the item was worth more & buyer couldn’t send me a consistent address or addressee.   I appreciate the advice!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@sadiesunshine9685 wrote:

Thanks!  I had a similar situation happen before, but we didn’t have to exchange email addresses and I never ended up completing the reship.  In that situation, the item was worth more & buyer couldn’t send me a consistent address or addressee.   I appreciate the advice!

There is no need to exchange email addresses.  You have their email address in your PP records.  They don't need your email address because they can just pay from the invoice you send them.  It really works very easily, just remember to do your shipping label in PP.  That is really important.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Once you have completed a transaction you are safe from rampaging ebay killbots regarding contact information.

Do not buy your label on paypal or ebay, do not upload tracking unless there is a case.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

Once you have completed a transaction you are safe from rampaging ebay killbots regarding contact information.

Do not buy your label on paypal or ebay, do not upload tracking unless there is a case.

@robot-hands

Why do you recommend not buying your label on PP?  I do it every single time I have this type of issue and I've never had a problem.  As long as  you purchase the shipping from the NEW PP payment for the reshipment, there is no issue at all.

And I certainly agree with you that you do NOT upload tracking to Ebay, that will create problems on the original transaction as I previously explained in an earlier post.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@robot-hands

Why do you recommend not buying your label on PP?  I do it every single time I have this type of issue and I've never had a problem. 

You mean you haven't had a problem, yet.

I'm not willing to take a chance on either of them giving a buyer MORE protections because you know they will.

It may never come to that but this way it is impossible to. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

@robot-hands

Why do you recommend not buying your label on PP?  I do it every single time I have this type of issue and I've never had a problem. 

You mean you haven't had a problem, yet.

I'm not willing to take a chance on either of them giving a buyer MORE protections because you know they will.

It may never come to that but this way it is impossible to. 

Nope, no problem here and I've done it many times over the years.  Why would there be a problem?  What problem is it that you think will happen?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

If the label is purchased through Paypal through the actual transaction then it would likely overide the original tracking info on ebay as well. To prevent that the seller would have to print the label using paypal.com/shipnow

I'm not sure if that was mentioned or not.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If the label is purchased through Paypal through the actual transaction then it would likely overide the original tracking info on ebay as well. To prevent that the seller would have to print the label using paypal.com/shipnow

I'm not sure if that was mentioned or not.

How could it possibly do that?  Keep in mind I did NOT say to purchase the shipping through PP from the original payment.  I said purchase the shipping label from the NEW PP payment for the reshipment.  If you do that, there is no way it can go back and update a transaction in Ebay that the payment is NOT tied to nor does it have any link to know about the original transaction.  

Don't confuse the original payment with the new payment for reshipping.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

There is no need to exchange email addresses.  You have their email address in your PP records.  They don't need your email address because they can just pay from the invoice you send them.  It really works very easily, just remember to do your shipping label in PP.  That is really important.

You say their email address is in the PP records. Where would that be? PP says to contact the person through eBay, I can't find email addresses anywhere.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@roddyt wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

You say their email address is in the PP records. Where would that be? PP says to contact the person through eBay, I can't find email addresses anywhere.

First off, I am NOT encouraging communications off Ebay.  If fact that really is a bad idea.  Both the buyer and the seller are better protected to have all their communications within the Ebay email system.

You can locate it through the Seller Hub, under Sold Items.  Make sure you have the screen customized to show the email address.

In PP if you click into someone's payment submitted to your account and then click on the Refund button, you can see the payee's email address.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You should be able to see their email address if you click on view records next to their purchase in sellers hub. But...the ebay and email addresses are not always the same so you might want to go to the transaction in Paypal and click on refund as mam suggested.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply