cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Typo in Buyer's Shipping Address

A buyer's address has the city marked as Sn Bernrdno CA

Obviously this is likely San Bernardino CA, but I did a Google search to try verifying it as a precaution.  Some results came back with that as a city name while others did not.  I asked the buyer if he could verify it himself just in case it was a typo or if it is shorthand.  No response yet.

I'd hate to have it get lost or sent back due to a mistake.  Does anyone know how the USPS would handle it?  Would they understand or would it be marked as undeliverable?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

USPS will be fine with it; they go according to the ZIP Code.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

A buyer can enter any address into the order page on checkout.

A seller should either ship to the address on the order or cancel the order selecting "something wrong with address."  Any change to the address would void the seller protection.

For something as small as this I would meet my obligation and ship the item.  IF for some reason the USPS determines it is undeliverable then you are protected because you shipped on time and used the address in the order, unaltered.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

USPS will be fine with it; they go according to the ZIP Code.

Ah, didn't even consider that.  Good point.

@no_zero369 wrote:

A buyer can enter any address into the order page on checkout.

A seller should either ship to the address on the order or cancel the order selecting "something wrong with address."  Any change to the address would void the seller protection.

For something as small as this I would meet my obligation and ship the item.  IF for some reason the USPS determines it is undeliverable then you are protected because you shipped on time and used the address in the order, unaltered.

Yeah, I assumed as much.  Wanted to be sure though.  Thanks for the responses!  It needs to ship today so  I'll print the label and ship after work.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

WAIT!

In a case like this I always check the USPS web site. Because of the limited number of characters per field sometimes even the post office abbreviates names. See the attached screen shot. (You might have to enlarge it)

Sn Bernrdno is actually an accepted post office spelling.

SanB.jpg

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

Sn Bernrdno is actually an accepted post office spelling.

They might even change it back to "Sn Bernrdno" regardless of how you try to correct or expand it.

I recently sent a PayPal/Shipnow package (not an eBay mailing) to someone living on East School Road in Indianapolis, so I typed in the street address as what I thought they would revise it to anyway, which was "E School Rd." When I printed the label, it turned out that the USPS had chopped it down even further than that, and the label came out reading "E Schl Rd" instead. Slightly bizarre, but it had its 9-digit ZIP and everything else looked good, so off it went.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply