cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Refund Offer Refused...What now?

I have a buyer who is very unhappy with her purchase. She wants a full refund. I think her claim is unreasonable. The item is a 1976 Barbie RV which cost me 37.35 to ship, though the calculator only charged 29.42 for shipping. My weight and measurements were correct but the post office put a balloon charge for the large size of the package which ebay didn't collect. I dissassembled it and wrapped all in bubble wrap to ensure it shipped without breakage. I included the description that it was being shipped partially unassembled. She claims that the item is broken and pieces are missing. When I asked what breakage and what pieces, she is asking for things which came with the original set which weren't even listed (IE grill set, patio furniture, bunk beds (which aren't even in the '76 ), and the breakage she's complaining about were the attaching hook, which I told about in the description, and the worn decals, which I also told about in the description. I put 12 pictures on the listing, so I can't believe she didn't know what she was getting, but there's no way I trust her to take this back apart and pack and ship back to me. I offered her a partial refund of $35. She refused. What happens now?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

She may file for a return based on not as described, in which case you issue a return label and take it back.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Why not as described? I listed the defects. I even pictured the defects.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@equestrispots52 wrote:
Why not as described? I listed the defects. I even pictured the defects.

Because thats how she gets you to pay return shipping. You might be abe to fight it but chances are ebay will find in favor of the buyer

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I feel like I at least want to fight before I give up and have to refund....how do I fight?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I would do nothing more at this point.  

Wait and see if she opens a NAD return.   Since your listing didn't offer returns, if and when she does open an NAD return, call ebay and see if you can convince a rep to agree that it is really a buyers remorse claim (especially if you can show that her complaints were disclosed in the listing) and close the return in your favor.   I think if you can accomplish that, they will also remove the neg she left you. 

If you cannot convince a rep of that when the time comes you will have to decide to either issue the buyer a return label at your expense or refund and let them keep the item.   

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@equestrispots52 wrote:

I feel like I at least want to fight before I give up and have to refund....how do I fight?

There is nothing to fight at this point. No Case = No Problem.

IF a SNAD is opened, then you have 3 working days to fight it. If the buyer is asking for something that wasn't listed in the original description, that is where I would start. It helps a lot that you had a no returns policy on it. I see the buyer left you a neg for it, most buyers trying to blackmail the seller for a partial don't leave negs as that removes the motivation. I suspect you won't see a case from this. I would have never offered a partial without a case, but whats done is done. I looked at the listing and the photo's, that's one rough RV but thats not really your problem, the buyer bought it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

>>which cost me 37.35 to ship, though the calculator only charged 29.42 for

>>shipping. My weight and measurements were correct but the post office put

>>a balloon charge for the large size of the package which ebay didn't collect

The eBay calculator doesn't mess up USPS shipping in that way when the proper dimensions and weight are entered.

Looked at the listing. It shows Parcel Select Ground as the service. That is a service based on online rates and what the calculator would have used. Your wording seems to indicated that you did not print an online Parcel Select label, but instead took it to the post office counter to ship - that would be at USPS Retail Ground service at retail rates.

$29.42 is the online Parcel Select 20 pound (balloon) rate to a zone 5 destination.

$37.35 is the online Parcel Select 20 pound (balloon) rate to a zone 5 destination.

There was no eBay calculator error.

The error was setting the listing up to charge online shipping rates and then going to the post office and paying retail rates.

There are two ways to avoid losing money on shipping that way:

• Change your global setting to not pass USPS discounts on to buyers
  • Print the label through eBay labels and pay the online price.

Water under the bridge for that transaction. At this point your issue is to get the return resolved somehow.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much. I really didn't understand the difference. Ended up just taking what was cheapest, trying to save the customer $$. I have scales and do measure, but am always afraid I am wrong, so go through the post office to keep from having my customer have postage due on the other end. Maybe it's time to quit doing that and trust ebay.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

To win, and this is an easy win, you will need actual documentation.

You need catalog or magazine articles...some official source that shows those items did not come with it.

Also you may easily sway a USA based CSR by getting them to believe you by starting first with the parts of the listing that are indisputable like the decals and the hook.

Pretty obvious that this is a remorse return, your money depends on two things. How much you want to fight and what your luck in getting CSRs is.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Glad it helped you understand what happened.

eBay USPS Shipping calculator does a really good job - I only had one obscure issue with it a number of years ago (non-machinable parcel post issue that was fixed). If you enter the correct dimensions and weight it will give you the correct costs and charge your buyers the correct amount.

eBay FedEx is pretty good except in fringe cases - you need to know what you are doing when it comes to large, very heavy, odd shaped, or not-standard packages because the eBay calculator does not have provisions for some additional handling surcharges. There was a bad bug for most of this year for some sellers where the eBay calc was charging buyers full retail no matter what the seller specified and a lot of shipping refunds had to be issued - that appears to be fixed. UPS has has bad undercharge errors for years in the eBay calculator and IMO is better avoided.

If you are going to ship FedEx or UPS and it is big, heavy, or odd shaped, ask here first to make sure you won't be bitten by unexpected charges later.

As far as preventing USPS postage due for your buyers goes - that should no longer be an issue with the rollout of the USPS APV system. USPS is no going to scan and weigh pkgs with online labels with automated equipment in sorting centers and charge the sender for underpaid postage automatically (and supposedly refund overpaid postage - not holding my breath on that).

So even if you use the eBay calculator, print an eBay USPS label, and make a mistake or something goes wrong, you will get billed not your buyer (not sure if the system is fully in place yet)

Message 11 of 11
latest reply