cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package was sent to Dead Mail center

This is a new one for me. I had been tracking a package for a purchase and each day tracking info from USPS was "in transit". Then yesterday, I get the tracking info that the package is "dead mail" with this statement: "Your package has a delivery exception. Your item could not be delivered or returned to the sender. It is being forwarded to a USPS mail recovery center where it will be processed."

So naturally I contact the seller with this info and ask for a refund. The seller's reply was they would issue a refund when they get the package back. Hmm...they won't be getting the package back according to USPS.

So, I filed a not received claim. Sigh...

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The item likely wound up in Atlanta if shipped from the Eastern U.S..

This has happened to me once before (as a seller, not the buyer). If you go to your local post office like I did, they are probably gonna tell you what i was told (concerning the tracking data): 'Ah, yeah, that makes no sense.'

I had no choice but to refund the buyer. I hope for your sake that whatever you purchased is relatively inexpensive.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

" I hope for your sake that whatever you purchased is relatively inexpensive."

Why do you say that?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@amxjewel

Give it a little time.

The mail recoverey (dead mail) unit will open the package to determine if there is a packing slip or something inside that will get the item where it belongs. (back to seller, or on to the buyer)

The label was likely messed up so that they could not determine where it should go.

It can not be opened along the way to determine that.  Must go to "recovery".

Your seller is ultimatly responsible to refun you. It is not dependent upon them getting it back. Seller is confused.

When you get tired of waiting, and it is beyond the estimated delivery date open a case in the resolution center fro "item not received". If seller can not prove delivery, they must refund. If they do not refund, eBay will force the refund from them.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it wound up in the Atlanta center. I live in an Atlanta suburb. I filed the not received case and received my refund. It wasn't the cost so much but it was a hard to find item that I really wanted. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@amxjewel wrote:

Yes, it wound up in the Atlanta center. I live in an Atlanta suburb. I filed the not received case and received my refund. It wasn't the cost so much but it was a hard to find item that I really wanted. 

Was a description of the package contents provided to the mail recovery unit ?

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The USPS stole your item. Happened to me. Had signature confirmation on item. They sent me tracking info that item was going to dead mail. That means they know the tracking number so they know where it's supposed to go. NOPE! Someone at USPS wanted my item more. Signature confirmation is a joke and so is USPS insurance. They don't back anything they offer. High dollar items go to Fed Ex from now on. They will back their insurance.  To many thieves at USPS.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

This happened to me last year...I spoke with Postmaster and asked if USPS used Temporary Employees...Answer was " At the time that you sent the package, Yes". I asked if they were receiving a large number of complaints of missing packages. Once again the answer was, "Yes". Only reason I asked is because a few weeks prior, I overheard a conversation while standing in line. There was a lady at the counter complaining about her package not getting delivered. She was hopping mad. The guy standing next to me in line told his friend , "Dude, this guy at work was a temp. employee once and he got busted stealing packages. He got the job so he could get the goods. He said it was easy".
I'm not saying this is what is happening for sure but it certainly makes me wonder. I had to refund the buyer even though the Postmaster admitted there was a "problem" on their end. My package showed tracking that it made it to the processing center then disappeared after that...Frustrating. What I learned tho is to NOT send small items in small packages. According to the Postmaster, it's easier to "misplace" small envelopes and packages. Now I send small pieces out in a little bigger package. Seems to help but is a pain.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply