cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a case about customs duties

Here is a description of the situation:

I messaged a seller before placing an order asking if he uses unregistered or registered mail to ship orders. I explained that I was asking, because orders sent with registered mail go trhough customs in my country, while those sent with unregistered don't.
The seller answered he only uses unregistered mail, so I procedeed with my order.
A few days forward I received my order via registered mail and I paid relatively high duties in order to get it.

So my answer is can i open a case against this seller? And what kind of a case? I know customs fees are paid by buyers, but I wouldn't have placed an order with him, if he had truthfully answered my question in the fisrt place.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I wonder if it was simply a matter of the term registered mail meaning something different to you than to the seller.  For example, in Canada registered mail is a specific service.  A package may have tracking on it but not be sent by registered mail. 

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

It was sent by registered mail. The word "REGISTERED" is printed on the label. I saw it today. I hadn't seen it yesterday, but they had told me from the Greek Post Office that it was sent with registred mail.

Registered mail, means that the sender requests proof of delivery and the recipient has to sign in order to get the mail. Isn't it the same worldwide?

I also think you're right about tracking. A package that has a tracking code isn't necessarily registered, but if I'm not mistaken registered mail comes always with tracking available.

My explanation is that it is a miscommunication within their company, because probably a company that sends thousands of items each month has many employees.

Message 47 of 47
latest reply