cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd postage rate fluctuation issue? (USPS parcel select ground / FedEX Smartpost)

So I just sold an item I sell regularly for roughly $13, I recently raised the price to around $14. It weighs 1 lb and I always use my own packaging and ship it via FedEX Smart Post / ground, for something like $6.15, which is always by far the cheapest. The 2nd cheapest is always USPS Parcel Select ground, which is $7 and change. 

I just tried creating a shipping label for this sale, again, for an item I sell regularly and know what it costs to ship. FedEX SmartPost is now $9.79 ??????????? FedEX Home is $8.15 ???????? USPS Parcel select ground isn't even showing up as an option, despite the buyer selecting that service. It shows up when going directly thru paypal, however the quote is an astonishing $11.79 ??????? FedEX ground is also grayed out, something about a shipping quote being "unavailable" ??????????

What's also odd, is since I had other labels to print I decided to check and see what it would cost, hypothetically, if one of these items was 1 pound. FedEX Smart post displayed as $6.15. FedEX home, $9.15. Parcel Select ground was available as an option, $8 something.

So what's going on with theses shipping rates/options exactly? Why is the cheapest, slowest shipping option now more expensive than the faster method? Why is parcel select ground mysteriously missing as a shipping service? Why is the FedEX ground rate "currently unavailable?"

It's almost as if the shipping prices now fluctuate based on the price of the item you sold or something? I have felt like this for a little while now. WOW, since when does it cost THAT much to ship this???? I know distance is always a factor, but good lord.

The 1 pound item I sold is now barley even feasible for me as a seller to ship to the buyer. it was last week though? I don't ever remember these type of shipping fluctuations. Not sure what's going on, but I've been selling on ebay since the 2000s and something definitely seems up? 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Odd postage rate fluctuation issue? (USPS parcel select ground / FedEX Smartpost)

Parcel Select Ground cost will vary depending on weight and distance.  For a package that's not over 1 pound (15.99 ounces), First Class package is faster and cheaper. Also, for lightweight packages Priority Mail costs about the same as Parcel Select.

There have been lots of posts lately about problems with purchasing Parcel Select postage through eBay. If you don't want to switch to Priority, then you can purchase Parcel Select postage at www.paypal.com/shipnow

Parcel Select 2020 to 8 pounds.png

Priority online to 7 pounds 2020.pnghttp://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 2 of 2
latest reply