cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No return policy returns

Hi folks,

I am sure this is a common problem, but I would still appreciate feedback from more experienced users than me. I am not selling regularly, in fact only rarely. I never hat a refund request, I am not sure what to do in this specific case.

I sold a mint, almost unused (but old!) digital camera and tested it before and even showed pictures in my listing. An experienced eBay buyer immediately bought the camera using the 'buy now' option, and I sent out the camera and gave the ebayer a good rating.

Now s/he replied that a control ring on the camera feels 'wobbly' and that s/he wants to return the item. I selected 'no returns' in my listing.  I checked the manual and ratings on Amazon and users note that the control ring feels overloaded. Hence, maybe it is perceived as wobbly as every movement enables another option of the camera.

I am not sure what to do. The camera is in great shape, and I listed it as 'no returns'.  The camera was also not exactly expensive. I want the buyer to be happy and I do not want to get a negative rating but I feel that the request is a bit unfair. What is the point of 'no return' auctions if people still demand that they can return the item? I can certainly ask the buyer to send the camera back and check it and list it online again and hope that the camera was not really damaged on its way or at the seller as it was fully working before. I am sure the buyer is a nice and honest person, but so am I. Sending and checking and relisting may end up costing me more in time than the camera is worth.

How would you guys handle the situation?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No return policy returns

Ebay doesn't allow sellers with a No Return policy not to offer refunds if a buyer files a claim for Not as described.  Whether that claim is filed properly or fraudulently.  So in your particular case you should just tell your buyer to return for refund.  If they open a claim, you will be required to pay for the return shipping if you want the item back.  Don't refund until you get the item back.

I know it is frustrating.  The return system on Ebay, well to say it is crazy is just an understatement.

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping.

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can’t withhold the original shipping value from the refund.  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#m17-1-tb1

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

No return policy returns

Ebay doesn't allow sellers with a No Return policy not to offer refunds if a buyer files a claim for Not as described.  Whether that claim is filed properly or fraudulently.  So in your particular case you should just tell your buyer to return for refund.  If they open a claim, you will be required to pay for the return shipping if you want the item back.  Don't refund until you get the item back.

I know it is frustrating.  The return system on Ebay, well to say it is crazy is just an understatement.

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping.

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can’t withhold the original shipping value from the refund.  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#m17-1-tb1

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

This is super, super helpful but in all honesty, I do not understand it. The link you are pointing to states that I do not need to accept the return, correct? Moreover, my listing was a 'no return' listing. So what it the point of such listings if people can always return whatever they want for whatever reasons like having second thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

"No returns" only applies to buyer remorse (changed my mind, decided to go with something else etc).

If your buyer is claiming that they feel the item was "not as described," and they open a claim on ebay, you will be forced to provide a return shipping label (at your expense) IF you want the item back before refunding the buyers entire payment. If they have opened a case DO NOT IGNORE IT.

If they have not opened a case then I strongly suggest that you work with your buyer to get it resolved before they go to ebay for help.

Remember......no returns is not the same as no refunds. You are allowed to choose not to accept returns but you are not allowed to opt out of issuing refunds if the buyer claims NAD.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

@k_j79 wrote:

This is super, super helpful but in all honesty, I do not understand it. The link you are pointing to states that I do not need to accept the return, correct? Moreover, my listing was a 'no return' listing. So what it the point of such listings if people can always return whatever they want for whatever reasons like having second thoughts?

If buyer says that the item isn't like the listing says, they have Ebay's MBG to return the item and get a refund.

If that wobbly ring was not mentioned in the listing, that would be a reason for the buyer to return the camera.

Your no return policy is only for remorse returns, it doesn't cover INAD's.

If they have already filed an INAD, all you can do is accept the return and provide return shipping and refund once you get the camera back.

If they file an INAD and you try to fight the return, Ebay might refund them from your Pay Pal account and let them keep the camera.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

This is super, super helpful but in all honesty, I do not understand it. The link you are pointing to states that I do not need to accept the return, correct?

Tis true.  With a No Return policy you do not have to accept a return.  But DON'T confuse a return with a refund.  While you can refuse to take the return, you CAN'T refuse to refund on a SNAD.  Well I suppose technically you could refuse, but then all the buyer needs to do is escalate the claim to Ebay and then Ebay will force the refund.   So the buyer will be able to keep your product and then get a full refund too.

Moreover, my listing was a 'no return' listing. So what it the point of such listings if people can always return whatever they want for whatever reasons like having second thoughts?

A question WE ALL ask!!!  You are in good company.  Unfortunately, the rules are as I stated.  Many of us don't like it, but it is the rules currently on the site, so we have to deal with them.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

Dear all,

This is super, super helpful! I really appreciate all of you getting back to me so quickly. I will offer the buyer a return despite there being absolutely no damage to the camera and then hope for the best that the buyer did not damage the camera. The buyer also mentioned that he has a second camera like this. I hope he does not take my working camera and sends me back his damaged version.

I am also considering buying a $5000 Leica, smashing it on the ground and resending it back to the buyer ;-). Just kidding, you probably all understand why I am frustrated.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

on ebay, no returns does not mean no refunds 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

Your best bet is to contact the buyer, explain what you think might be the case with the wobbly ring, and offer a partial refund to make them happy.  Would they be happy with the camera if you gave them 20% back (or whatever seems reasonable)?

That way you don't have to go through the whole hassle and expense of a return.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

I sold a garment. I have a no return policy.  The buyer asked to return the item because it didn't fit. I told her I was sorry, but I had a no return policy, which was clearly stated in the listing. 

I declined the request and ebay closed the case. 
The buyer returned the item anyway, paying over $17 in postage.  I had to sign for it.  She sent the pieces back rolled up in balls.  Regardless, I was willing to give her a refund, minus postage and Paypal fee, which I can't get back.  
I keep going around in circles trying to figure out how to do this and get my FV fee returned. I finally called ebay. CS told me to send her a manual refund through Paypal and that he would credit my final value fee.  
I had to call Paypal to get her email address to do the refund. I sent her a message with that saying I was deducting the $10.50 she paid for shipping and Paypal fees.  I actually paid $12.80 for the shipping. But that was my mistake.

A week went by and I still did not have my refund of ebay fees. So I called ebay again this morning.  This time CS asked for the Paypal transaction number and then he issued my credit.  
Now I sit and worry she will come after me for the postage both ways.
Ebay and Paypal should have an easier way to deal with this. I am sure she is not the first person who pulled this.  At least in the menu to issue a refund, allow edits, so the necessary deductions can be taken.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

No return policy returns

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/shipping-returns-db.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply