cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Option for Seller To Purchase Return Shipping Label on Return Request from Buyer

We offer 30 day free returns in our store.  In the last several months we have had several return requests and each time they have been for fit issues with a garment.  eBay is automatically approving the returns but is not giving us the option on the Return Screen to send the buyer a return shipping label purchased thru eBay.   The options given are 1. Upload your own label (purchased from an outside vendor) 2. Confirm we already sent a label or 3. Confirm you can't send a label (within that option you then have to select why - reasons are all related to weight/size etc.  nothing about there is "no option to purchase one on eBay") 

I have called eBay multiple times and I keep getting different answers, however, each one always ends in me being told that I have to purchase a return shipping label and send it to the buyer or eBay will just refund the buyer the money and I will not get my stuff back.  eBay's own policy clearly states that I should pay for return shipping since I offer 30 day free returns, however, it also states that as long as the package meets USPS requirements, I can purchase the return label from eBay.  Most of our items are under 1 lb and are shipped 1st class mail in an eBay 10 x 12.5 polymailer.  Most things over 1 lb are shipped in a USPS flat rate bubble mailer.  I purchase postage from eBay when shipping the purchases to the buyer so why can I not purchase return labels off eBay and get the same discounted price for them.  Instead, I am having to spend more money and purchase them off Pirate Ship.  This is costing our business extra money and does not meet with eBay's own policies re: return shipping for sellers.  I have called eBay at least 10 times and also chatted 3 times and still no fix.  Is anyone else having or had this problem and if so what did you do to get it fixed? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

No Option for Seller To Purchase Return Shipping Label on Return Request from Buyer

Are you sure that your buyers aren't automatically getting a link to print the label? I'm not in the US so it works differently for me but from what I understand it should be automatic for US Sellers.  If your return preferences are set up to require a RMA first, then it may work differently.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

No RMA and no label is being sent to our customers.  That is what we thought too - however after 2 cases were reported to ebay for lack of completion of the return we realized quickly that no shipping labels were being sent to our customers.  Since my original post I have had 5 add'l calls to ebay and we are still having the same problem with no fix.  I have spoke with an eBay supervisor who has looked at our entire acct and cannot find anything wrong with our account set up and I also sent a screen print of the return screen we are seeing that is telling us to purchase a label from an outside vendor and upload and send to the buyer.  There is no option to purchase one from eBay.   Below is what we get when a return is requested. 

flippingfrocks_0-1627055444060.png

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Hi! Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue now  😞 and I always just get told I have to upload my own when it is due to buyer remorse! It never used to be like this..

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ugh, now this is happening to me? What is going on ebay???

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Where you able to find a resolution to this?

It is October 2022 and I am having this issue.  I don't want to switch to no returns because then people will just use the "doesn't fit description" and ding my account for accuracy and it takes away the ability to have negative feedback for remorse buyers removed (or not put on at all).

I was soo disappointed: i truly feel this is a "hope I get free product" transaction.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Hey @thequeenofbulk. There are a few reasons why you might not be able to purchase the return label through eBay, but the main reason is generally when the buyer has an international shipping address. eBay's system can't generate international return shipping labels.

Can you confirm if your buyer is domestic or international?

If domestic, as a temporary solution you can purchase a label through pirateship.com which doesn't cost a penny more than eBay - you can upload that label to the return. Also check your listings to make sure package weight and dimensions are entered because if those fields are left blank, the system won't have the information needed to generate a return label.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I’m having the same issue. I’ve run into several different problems where I have contacted eBay and been told something different by every person I spoke with trying to get help. I also had one incidence where I was transferred to SEVEN different employees and issue was still not resolved in the end. I feel eBay makes things way more complicated then they need to be and are the most confusing and difficult out of the 3 selling platforms that I use 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Having same issue in 2024 ! Happy anniversary issue.  There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to send buyer a shipping label.  I have to go to a 3rd party and pay more just so I can send them a label.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Now im having this issue in April 2024.. Does anyone know what causes this and how yo fix? 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply