cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a ?

On 4/17/24 I shipped a small tube via FIRST CLASS MAIL. Tracking still show's it is at the post office I dropped it off at (Edgewood, Md.). When I checked at the post office they told me it was in Baltimore. When I check on USPS tracking it shows me it is still in Edgewood.

My question is for anyone who uses First Class mail. Do these packages get scanned like those going media mail or Ground advantage?

Thanks to all who reply.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Need help with a ?

Scanning has become sporadic for all classes.  I doubt there's a single Postal Facility in the US that doesn't have a help wanted sign hanging on the door. 

My understanding is First Class is now reserved for flat items, envelopes and postcards.  Ground Advantage or Priority are for packages and boxes, including tubes.   Did you put in accurate measurements when you bought the label?   

First-Class Mail & Postage | USPS

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

absolutely yes. I am always careful with that info. 

Every other package I have shipped get's scanned when dropping off, when it leaves late in the day and all along the route. This is the first time I have had this problem.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

@mike_jayroe 

How were you able to ship a small tube via USPS First Class Mail?  According to USPS :

"First-Class Mail does not include USPS Tracking®. Although First-Class Mail postcards, letters, and flats are not eligible for USPS Tracking, those items are eligible for other extra services that provide barcodes for scanning. These extra services can be purchased, providing some tracking information."

Since " a small tube" is not flat enough to be considered to be "postcards, letters and flats," it is possible that your item was kicked out as "nonmachinable" with additional postage due.

Please share the USPS Tracking number.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

When I dropped off the package the postal worker did not object to the shipping method. E-bay shipping offered first class as an option.  

I am nervous about sharing the tracking number here. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

NEVER MIND. Suffered another brain fa*t. This was shipped ground advantage. 

Got confused since I was changing a lot of ight weight items over to first class. Don't get old. Your brain stops working. The package still doesn't show any movement though.

Thanks anyway.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

I mail a lot of tubes. They get scanned, in the end, but because they can't be moved on conveyor belts at the distribution centers, they are handled manually and the employees do not scan them along the way. I usually see only the initial scan and the delivery scan. Also (generally speaking), the delivery takes several days longer than flat/boxed packages because of manual handling.

You should have asked them how they figured out your package was in Baltimore.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Need help with a ?

Just checked again. It is in Indianapolis and should get delivered Monday. 

This is the first tube I shipped that had a problem. All the others were scanned and moved quickly.

Thanks again to all who responded. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply