cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Irritating Return Request I've gotten so far

I sell vintage electronics, many of them are estate sale finds and are sold as untested as-is - Recently I sold a vintage amp which was clearly pictured and appropriately described - 

At the end of my listings I type a disclaimer 

"Estate sale find please see pictures - rusty crusty and dusty - untested sold as is untested for project or restoration - no returns - Crusty and dusty, scuffs dings" 

I got a return request from a buyer stating that he wanted to return the vintage amp because it DIDN'T have any rust.... and he's saying because it didn't have any rust it wasn't as described... Is this an abuse of the eBay returns policy? I've never had a return requested for a item that was better than described 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

That might be the most irritating I've ever heard of so far. But you know what? I'll bet it's a valid claim in eBay's eyes.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I've been selling on Ebay for 10 years, since the start of the pandemic I've received my only 3 return requests ever - it really seems like people are capitalizing on sellers not being able to speak to real customer service reps. 

It seems impossible to win a case- I've reached out to @askebay for someone to review the sellers messages - This request just seems like blatant abuse of the returns policy 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@ilikeyoueventhough wrote:

I got a return request from a buyer stating that he wanted to return the vintage amp because it DIDN'T have any rust.... and he's saying because it didn't have any rust it wasn't as described..

If the listing said it had some rust, but it doesn't, the buyer is right.

Sounds a little odd, but maybe they bought it thinking it would have some rust as the listing stated.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Looking back at the photos, there are two small areas of surface rust - 

I still feel like this is extortion - I've uploaded the pictures to the return request 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

After uploading the photos of the surface rust from the listing the buyer closed the return request -
Message 6 of 6
latest reply