cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Customs Document? Issue Whilst Package Was In Transit?

I've purchased two items on Ebay in the past month. First from the USA and the second from Italy. Both being sent to my address in the UK. 

Probelm with both items is that they have been held in customs before leaving either USA or Italy and then their tracking updates to "There was an issue whilst your package was in transit." There is no further information and the usless Ebay customer service can't explain the problem. 

Because of this I have lost two items I have won on ebay. What's the issue here? Can I not purchase items from abroad if I'm located in the UK? I've contacted the sellers and they say the issue is that customs documents are missing. They both claim they filed customs forms via ebay as they would with any other international order. 

This is clearly an issue with my account and customs forms in some way. How I can fixed this or has ebay blacklisted me from buying internationally? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You are on the US boards. Perhaps post your questions in the UK boards. I don't know what the items are but could they be banned items in the UK?  Is it possible for you to contact customs and ask what the problem is ? Definitely post this question on the UK boards. Perhaps someone there knows more about what is OK to enter the Uk.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I've never heard of ebay blacklisting a buyer from making a purchase internationally so I really don't think that's the situation here. 

If the item that you ordered from the US was sent through ebay international shipping, it is possible that they program restricts that particular type of item from being shipped through them although you would normally get a note telling you that.  But that wouldn't be the case with the item from Italy, so I have no idea what the problem would be. It is odd that you've had the same problem twice.  Were both items similar? Is it possible that they are items banned from shipped to the UK?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The items are similar but I cant see why they would be banned to the UK. They are both 1/4 scale collectible statues. I've ordered similar in the past with no issue. The real problem is that they are reasonable rare/limited and this issue is causing them to vanish. Even the seller does'nt receive the item back.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Check the tracking number using various tracking sites. Quite often they provide more information. Also try your royal mail site.

The customs clearances got much stricter with many new laws both in UK and EU.  One very important item is a so called harmonization number which the seller must provide. It's the number that identified the product very precisely. For example, the EU uses a 10 digit number (also called a TARIC number). I found out, that in some countries (Ireland, Italy) if I don't use  the required 10 digit number, the tracking will relay the message something like...there was a problem with the electronic customs form clearance..the package is being returned to the sender. UK requires a 6 digit number.

Many sellers use ebay's int'l shipping program, they lose control over certain details. I don't use these programs, I have mailed dozens of packages to UK, have not had a single problem. ALso, if the seller does not use ebay, they must nor forget to include ebay's EU or UK tax registration number (IOSS). WHen you purchase something form US, ask the seller questions, how they are mailing your order and whether they provided all necessary info.

If you buy from Italy, it is basically the same as when you buy from US, unless there are special agreements between UK and EU about waving some requirements.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply