cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailing Error

Sent wrong item to a buyer of a different item and they showed photo of item received and did not send it back and kept the item. There is no way to get it back. Cost me about $70.00 and left me with an unhappy buyer. What do I do. Hockeycatwins

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Mailing Error

@hockeycatwins wrote:

Sent wrong item to a buyer of a different item and they showed photo of item received and did not send it back and kept the item. There is no way to get it back. Cost me about $70.00 and left me with an unhappy buyer. What do I do. Hockeycatwins

Your run-on sentence is a little confusing, but I assume that you (a) sent the wrong item to your customer, and (b) returning the item is somehow problematic.

I don't know what cost you $70 (did you refund?????), but the correct way to handle such a mistake is to (a) apologize, (b) ship the correct item to your customer, and (c) refund shipping costs or a discount for their trouble with the delay.  Most customers understand that mistakes happen, and this is an acceptable solution to them.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

Call Ebay and explain the situation before you do anything !! You need to get the ( wrongly sent item back ) !! They don't get to keep the wrong item and get their money back !! EBAY will send them a message !! If and when your wrongly sent item is returned to YOU then you can either send the correct item and/or refund their money !!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

@sweetpieces4you wrote:

They don't get to keep the wrong item and get their money back !! EBAY will send them a message !! If and when your wrongly sent item is returned to YOU then you can either send the correct item and/or refund their money !!

If the seller refunds before an item is returned, there is nothing in the eBay system that compels a buyer to return the item ...

Although any seller can handle this as they think best, I think the suggestion above is poor customer service.  The seller made a mistake, and the seller should not make the buyer go through a lot of logistical hoops and over a week in delays to get the item they purchased.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

What I think they are saying is that they sent the customer's item to another buyer in error and the other buyer is not returning the item so therefore there is no item to honor the customer's order.  This happened to me.  I inadvertently sent a $70 doll to someone who ordered a $10 Christmas ornament.  The buyer of the ornament refused to answer any emails I sent them and they just kept the item.  I keep waiting for it to show up for sale.......... I had to refund the person who had ordered the doll and took a $70 hit.  The customer who didn't get the doll was really understanding, I was lucky.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

@hockeycatwins   Sadly since this is a Seller's mistake you need to ship the customer the item they originally purchased.  You can then ask them if they will return the incorrect item to you and that you will pay the return shipping cost on it.

In a little over 3 years I have accidentally switched labels twice on shipments to Buyers.  While ALL Buyers offered to ship (at my cost) to the correct Buyers I insisted on ALL Buyers shipping their wrong items back to me at my expense.  Once I received all the wrong items back I inspected them to make sure they were still in the original condition they were sold in then shipped them off to the correct Buyers.  Did this cost me more money to do it this way? Yes, however it was important to me to make sure ALL Buyers got the items in the condition they were sold in AND I wanted to avoid some unknown accidental mistake in shipping between all the Buyers in question.  In the end, everybody got what they wanted though a little later then originally expected.  ALL left good Feedback.  The shipping errors were mine, I owned them from day one.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

You need to open a case against the buyer. Right away.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Mailing Error

What kind of case would that be?

A seller can only file an unpaid item dispute or a cancellation.  Neither one applies in this scenario.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 8
latest reply