cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the eBay standard envelope considered "Non machinable" by USPS?

Does anyone know if the eBay standard label can indicate to USPS that the envelope should be "Non machinable"? If the eBay standard envelope can be up to 1/4" thick, I can't imagine it can go through the sorting machines without being torn apart. Has anyone had any success using this new product?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

1/4 inch thickness is the USPS limit for First Class letters.  

The criteria for "nonmachinable" is related to flexibility, not thickness: it must "bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn". An empty bubble envelope might be nearly 1/4 inch thick, but it would still be completely flexible. 

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1047495

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@randomsl wrote:

Does anyone know if the eBay standard label can indicate to USPS that the envelope should be "Non machinable"? If the eBay standard envelope can be up to 1/4" thick, I can't imagine it can go through the sorting machines without being torn apart. Has anyone had any success using this new product?

I've been shipping Pokemon cards using this system without any issue. Before that I was using the same envelopes and card protection (toploader or cardsaver-1), plus a forever stamp.  In theory you should be fine, but just make sure the package is not very rigid (subjective I know, but see below).  I know some post offices were picky with what applies as "non-machinable" .

I would recommend the 20 point toploaders (cardboard gold), or honestly, cardsaver 1's.  Just make sure the package meets these requirements here -- https://pages.ebay.com/ebaystandardenvelope/index.html

Also, this is what I personally have been doing, but this applies for Pokemon cards (thickness may vary vs sports cards):

a)  A Toploader --  can fit up to 2 cards in there and make sure they are penny sleeved... 1 oz package

b) A Cardsaver 1 -- can fit up to 6 cards (all penny sleeved, or just into one penny sleeve) ... 1 oz package

I use the "Security envelope #6 500" envelopes by the way, and protect the card and toploader/cardsaver in a teambag (to prevent card(s) from falling out).  Also secure the team bagged card on thin paper-cardboard so it stays centered in the envelope, if that makes sense.

Honestly, anything beyond a 1 oz package would be insane thickness, but hey, the requirements technically do allow up to 3 oz package.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I purchased a little stiffer cardboard envelopes from Uline that fit the dimensions. They are now getting sent back to me and I’m being told because they are not flexible I have to pay more postage. Does eBay  mean just using a standard paper envelope?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@randomsl wrote:

If you follow the rules, and don't try to "push the envelope" when packaging, it is machinable. That is the basis of the whole program, the program will not work unless machinable.  

10b00ks has some perfect advise, I've only sent a few items - 100% successful -  with similar packaging.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yes it certainly is non-machinable. The requirements on the ebay page for the plain white enevelope shipping are the exact same requirements found on the usps web site for regular stamped mail which has to be machinable unless you add a non-machinable stamp with a butterfly on it and write or stamp "non-machinable" on the outside of the envelope.  If you want to send a stiff envelope then ebay won't sell you the postage label for this.  You have to address it yourself and put a more expensive non-machinable stamp on it and write non-machinable on the outside of the envelope.  Ebay does not sell shipping labels for non-machinable envelopes.  You have to spend more with them for a USPS first class package.  

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

eBay is very directing us to use non-machinable packaging:

Is there specific packaging to use when shipping an order through eBay standard envelope?

No, you may use any envelope that fits the size requirements listed above. We’ve also provided a PDF template so you can check the fit of your package.

A standard number ten envelope works just fine, and for added protection and convenience, we offer branded eBay heavyweight envelopes that are specifically designed to be used with eBay standard envelope. You can find them on our eBay supplies store at www.ebay.com/supplies. The specific item links are 5”x7” non padded envelopes and 6”x8” non padded envelopes.

Once packed and sealed, print your label using eBay Labels to ensure proper tracking and shipping protection.

-------
Not to mention the fact that the current rate, 51 cents, is not a discount from regular first-class rates, and would therefore not classify as a negotiated rate - it would just be a "standard envelope" whether purchased from eBay or not.

~~~Perspective. Use it or lose it.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

And yet we were informed that bubble mailers do NOT qualify.

~~~Perspective. Use it or lose it.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

since they allowed coins into the ESE program I've been shipping coins that way in #000 bubble mailers with no problems (yet)

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

We have tried these envelopes your talking about that ebay offers and our post office charges us an extra .30 cents per envelope because they say its non-machinable. I have been going round and round with the local post office along with up the ladder of any postal management i can talk to and they are all just responding by copy and pasting from the usps site the rule that says "40 pound around 11 inch diameter roller ect ect". I keep replying that I dont have a 40 pound pressure device or an 11 inch diameter corner handy to test my mail nor does the local post office. So far i have been completely disreguarded about my complaint. I feel the way we package it WILL go through the machine just fine so im being over charged. As our business grows (currently 2000 cards listed) I want to get into doing some base card ads like you see with the drop down menu you pick the base card you want but with the extra .30 cent charge I am unable to make any money at all on base cards and in fact most products base cards I would lose money on them. So any chance of trying to sell large quanity of low priced cards as i think this program is directed towards is out the window at this point. I have read numerous posts about this and its clearly totally subjective so each postal employee can decide if its to rigid or not without ever physically testing the piece of mail. I am beyond frustrated at this point.

-Chris Ottaway

EBAY seller - ottaways_online

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Has anyone been able to get the 6x8 envelopes ebay directs you to purchase for this program to go through the mail as machineable? We are being charged an extra .30 cents on every one of them because they say it is to rigid but they have never physically tested any of them to show me that it is to rigid. I feel that the way we are packaging that these ARE MACHINEABLE but the postal employees are able to subjectively just charge us whatever they want.

-Chris Ottaway

ottaways_online

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@ottaways_online  This thread is from Feb 2021

Probably best to start a new thread

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply