cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a 6x9 bubble Mailer a thick envelope?

Trying to ship my smaller earrings in a bubble mailer. If it’s 1/2” thick can I use the large envelope rate? Assuming if I wrap the earrings in an extra layer of bubble wrap I’d exceed the allowed thickness? I received jewelry findings from a seller in a plain envelope yesterday, she stapled a small square of bubble wrap to a piece of paper, not going that far to save on shipping. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Yes, an extra layer of bubble wrap would make your item ineligible to be mailed as a flat, for at least two reasons: USPS says that in order to be mailed as a flat (AKA Large envelope), it must be not over 3/4 inch thick, flexible, and have 'even thickness" which USPS defines as a variation in thickness not over 1/4 inch.  See sections 4.3 and 4.4:

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1096318

Mailing an item as a flat (if it's eligible) will save on postage, but flats don't have tracking so you run the risk of being defenseless against a fake "Item not received" claim.  Also keep in mind that the rule about flexibility is there because of the way machinery handles the envelopes: They get bent around some pretty sharp curves, so small items can get crushed or even poke their way out of the envelope.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I frankly would not try to use a bubble mailer as it provides no protection. Your box will travel down conveyor belts, be dropepd into sorting bins, have other items fall on it in the bins, be tossed, etc.

Perhaps try:

A Small box.

B. A tiny box inserted into a manilla envelope. The envelope will provide a greater surface area for the shipping label.

You easily make such small boxes with a simple template such as the one below, which was made to create a inner box for 2" x 2" slides. Score along the solid lines with the back of a pair of scissors. Cut the dotted lines. Fold along and solid lines, with the last long side overlapping the first long side. Tape the outside. With some practice one should be able to do this freehand within a minute or so on any scrap cardboard.

boxtemplate.png

Message 3 of 3
latest reply