cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International shipment returned to sender(me) 5 months after sale. reason given - not claimed

Hello!

I'm seeking advice on the following situation. Currently I am mostly selling cross stitch kits and charts, although I'm also trying to get rid of a few audio books I no longer have a CD player to play them on 🙂

Up until Covid hit, I had good luck selling international. On 3/31/2020 I sold a cross stitch chart to a buyer in London, England. I shipped out the same day. I didn't use GSP, just a regular first class international shipment. 

I did several other international shipments before I stopped shipping internationally on 4/19/2020. Shipments were just taking too long. I was able to track all of them, including this one to London, to the destination countries, but lost tracking on this and one other after that. 

It took until the end of May to reach London. I never heard from the buyer and it doesn't appear they opened a case or anything against me either with EBay or PayPal. Today I received the package back, 5 months later. The reason given is that is was unclaimed by the buyer. It looks like the PO in London sent it back on 6/23/2020. 

What would you do? Should I try and contact the buyer? I'm already planning to refund the cost of the item as It's a popular chart and I can resell it. I'm not comfortable re-sending it internationally at this time as mail is unreliable and I'm not giving them that option.

Would you refund shipping as well? For cross stitch charts I usually do free shipping except for international sales, so they did pay for the shipping. On the one hand it would be good customer service, on the other hand, I got it to them and they chose to not (or couldn't) pick it up. If our roles were reversed I wouldn't expect the shipper to refund shipping if I were the one not picking it up.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Jen

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: International shipment returned to sender(me) 5 months after sale. reason given - not claimed

sorry, that should read, I sold it 4 months ago, not 5!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: International shipment returned to sender(me) 5 months after sale. reason given - not claimed

I've had packages come back to me 6-12 months but usually the buyer opens  a case which they win.  (almost always ebay sides with buyers).  You do everything right but still get the short end.

I'd offer to reship if they pay to reship but you are under no obligation to reship it.   They had a window to report a problem and it's on them to get the process started.  The cost to ship again is alot of money and odds are your margins can't support paying 2x global shipping costs.   

Message 3 of 3
latest reply