cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient address - how to resolve?

I received a message from a buyer with 300+ positive feedback today asking me to intercept a package I had sent and giving me a different address. They said that their account had been hacked and the address changed. I checked the tracking info and it states "Insufficient address" and says that it is being returned to sender...so hopefully it shows up here soon. My question is, what is correct procedure to get this sent out to the correct address when it gets back to me? Shipping wasn't cheap ($7 and change) and I shouldn't have to eat the cost since I shipped the way I should have. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@weasley_princess first thing you do is make sure that the account that contacted you is the account that bought the item. If it’s the same account and they want it reshipped, send a PayPal invoice & print the new label through PayPal.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If the account was hacked, eBay would contact you.

DO NOTHING at this point -- don't even respond to this message.

Wait until you hear from eBay -- they will send you a message the account was hacked and direct you further.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Let me make sure I understand the sequence of events: the "buyer" really did want the item, so they bought it with the correct user id, their own eBay account, the correct payment method, etc., and then, between the time they bought the item with all the correct info, etc., and the time you printed the mailing label, someone hacked into their account and just changed the mailing address?

Is that what happened?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Don't do anything unless BOTH ebay tells you the account was compromised and you have the item back.

Never print a secondary label online, do it by hand, do get tracking, do not upload it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

Don't do anything unless BOTH ebay tells you the account was compromised and you have the item back.

Never print a secondary label online, do it by hand, do get tracking, do not upload it.

A secondary label can be printed through PayPal with no risks. There’s no reason NOT to print a secondary label online. Just don’t do it through ebay.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

For those asking, this is the exact sequence of events:

- bidder with over 300 positive feedback, no negatives, bids on item and wins. Item ends Sunday morning and they pay by Sunday evening. 

- I print a shipping label through Paypal on Monday night and drop the package off at the PO Tuesday. Address is in DE, looks to be a reshipper but I've shipped to those in the past without problems. 

- yesterday - Thursday - I get a message from the buyer through eBay asking if I can intercept the package and giving me a PO Box in AK. They said their account was hacked and their address changed. 

- I checked the tracking and it said "insufficent address" and that it is being returned to sender. 

I told the buyer that we would need to wait for it to come back to me and in the meantime I will find out proper eBay procedures for reshipping it. Should I contact eBay directly? Should I wait for it to come back and report the buyer? 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

A secondary label can be printed through PayPal with no risks. There’s no reason NOT to print a secondary label online. Just don’t do it through ebay.

Sellers are free to not cover their bases as they see fit.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply