cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect address format

Hello,

I am an amateur seller, and just sold an item for ~=$150.

I went to print the label, but got two error messages: 

"Failed to obtain services from USPSShipTo province is invalid or unsupported."

"There is a problem with the ship to address. Please amend this by clicking here."

[here] has a link that takes me to editing the address.

The issue is the state format is incorrect, and the address line is too long. (It states "Please only use 40 characters")

I can fix the state format and break the address given onto two address lines and abbreviate one word to make it meet the guidelines, but then I'm not sure about editing an address. But eBay won't let me purchase postage with the address as given.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Incorrect address format

One fallback strategy is to try printing the label using the "classic" Shipping form, available via a link at the upper right corner of the new one. Coding of the classic form is much better than the new one, and does not share the new form's inability to understand state abbreviations that are not all-capitals.

As for the problem address line(s), the old form may report the same error. If you know that breaking the address to two lines and/or using proper abbreviation(s) will fix the length problem, go ahead and do so. Correcting the address is not the same as changing the destination.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Incorrect address format

Thanks, I'll go with this! I also messaged the seller and he was ok with it.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Incorrect address format

Just be aware that changing the address provided may forfeit some of your protections. eBay does provide a reason for canceling a sale by grounds of having address issues. I think you fine, as buyer agreed to the change in messages.

I swear a buyer was scamming me once. A foreign buyer in a country with no delivery confirmation could intentionally input their address to show an error, you fix  it and ship, buyer says they never got it because you changed the address. 

When I have this happen I tell the buyer they have to call eBay and fix the address problem with them or cancel the sale.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Incorrect address format

eBay should have the same address information restrictions in place for a buyer to enter a shipping address because it is a waste of time to let the buyer put whatever they want then when the seller tries to buy shipping it tells me there's a problem with the address, when I click to edit it warns me I could lose seller protection if i edit the address. There should be an address confirmation step for buyer checkout so this way when you checkout and enter all of their information right at the end when they submit the order there should be a screen showing them a summary of the information they are submitting and give them a last chance to correct anything. If that's too much work to implement JUST RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS THEY CAN USE FOR A BUYER SHPPING ADDRESS SO THAT IT MATCHES THE LIMITS SELLERS HAVE FOR BUYING SHIPPING LABELS. THAT'S JUST SO EASY THAT THEY WON'T EVEN BOTHER TO DO THAT I GUESS?! BAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Incorrect address format

you no need to edit the address until you have confirmation from buyer, if some reason item not delivered you will be held responsible for that, so just reconfirm with the buyer and than you can edit and ship.

Hope its help
Message 6 of 6
latest reply